Substituting Oils in Body Butters

candlemama

I found a recipe I want to try for making a body butter. I chose it because I already have all of the ingredients, except for wheat germ oil. Do you think I could substitute jojoba oil for the wheat germ without affecting the consistency or end product too much? Or should I just increase the amount of apricot kernel oil to make up for the lack of wheat germ oil?

Here's the recipe.

2 ozs cocoa butter (weighed)

2 ozs natural shea butter

(weighed)

2 ozs mango butter (weighed)

1 teaspoon wheat germ oil

3 teaspoons apricot kernel oil

1 teaspoon aloe vera gel

I found a recipe I want to try for making a body butter. I chose it because I already have all of the ingredients, except for wheat germ oil. Do you think I could substitute jojoba oil for the wheat germ without affecting the consistency or end product too much? Or should I just increase the amount of apricot kernel oil to make up for the lack of wheat germ oil?

Here's the recipe.

2 ozs cocoa butter (weighed)

2 ozs natural shea butter

(weighed)

2 ozs mango butter (weighed)

1 teaspoon wheat germ oil

3 teaspoons apricot kernel oil

1 teaspoon aloe vera gel

While this recipe would come out hard, you may still like it. What is too hard to some is just right for others.

This recipe doesn't say it needs a preservative. However, IMO anything that has "water" (aloe gel) needs a preservative.

Here's a modified version for you if you want.

2oz shea

2oz mango

1 tsp wheat germ

3 tsp apricot kernal

Melt butters. Preferably not in the micro, but that's just me.

Once melted, add the oils.

I would whip this for about 5 mins.

Put in the freezer for 5 mins

whip 5 min

repeat.

I usually don't put body butters in the freezer more than 2x. I prefer that it gets cool enough that I don't burn myself then I just keep whipping. You can whip for a bit.

Wait 5 and whip again. It does depend on your mixer.

I use a Kitchen Aid so I just turn it on and let it whip while I am doing something else. I don't walk away from it though.

This will be an all butter/oil recipe. Meaning if it's too soft, you could melt it all down and add .5oz cocoa butter.

Let it cool... see if you like it.

Repeat til it's how you want it.

It will be a learning lesson on what you expect. You can pretty much figure you won't get it right the first time!

you can really swap any oils for any others - just keep in mind what the oils feel like and the product you want to make. in body butters, that are already so rich, I avoid heavy oils like olive and tend to favor coconut & fractionated coconut oil and some jojoba. and ako is nice too.

the aloe, being water based and not soluble in oils, could be problematic - weeping or seeping out. I'd avoid it.

Edited by CareBear