Pitted tins?

Dee

Took my four oz tins out this morning to pour some candles for an order. I left them with their lids on in the box they came in for about two months. They were in my garage. Every one of them (30) has some sort of corrosion on the inside rim (top and under). The lids are fine. This hasn't happened to any of my candle molds (all types) stored in the same place, so am quite upset. Last year I had rust on some after pouring and letting them sit, but this isn't the same. The finish is removed (pitted). Anyone else have this problem. They weren't like this when I got them. Will inform supplier, but it has totally put me off using tins.

Any time you store cheap metal items like that you should give them a light spray of PAM or WD-40 first. Tin is especially prone to rust.

Many/most suppliers "mist" them with a light oil after manufacturing so they won't rust in shipment. If you look for it you can tell if they seem a bit "oily".

Most candle molds don't rust because of the mold release you use and the fact that wax is petroleum based and acts just like oil to prevent rust. If you wash or clean your molds before storing they WILL rust.

Also; a little "tip". If you ever store paint, or anything else that tends to "dry out" or harden over time, you can spray the lids where they seal and it will slow or stop the drying out.

Pam is one of the most usefull things you can have around the house. Squeaky wheel? PAM it! Squeaky drawer? PAM. sticky lock? PAM. Hands dry? Pam. It even works well to clean things. Extension cord that you have to "wiggle" when You plug it in? spray a little PAM on the plug. Flashlight with corrosion on the battery post? Car battery corrosion? Pam is great for stoping corrosion too. Got a little rust spot on your car? Pam it and wipe off the excess. It won't repair the rust spot but it will stop it from spreading. The list goes on and on..

Later

Dick

Thanks for the information, Dick. Didn't notice any oilyness when I first got them. Its not really rust, but black pits. The finish is completely corroded. Funny, the lids are untouched and look like they are a completly different metal. Was thinking I should have taken them off before storing the bottoms. Still if I have to go through all of this, what happpens to them after I sell them?