Just curious

I have read where people generally use HTP-83 and above wicks in the 8oz jelly jars using soy wax. This just blows my mind that a wick this big works well in that jar. Even on the ngiwax.com site it recommends starting with a 104-105 wick for a 2-3 inch diameter container and the 8oz jelly jars are 2.75.

I started testing (CB-135) with a recommended HTP-104 and it was WAY too hot. I went down till I got to the HTP-73 and it seems perfect and that's what I've used now for every scent I've tried so far.

Would the brand of soy wax cause such a big difference in wick size in the same jar?? I'm just curious....

With the 8 oz jelly I use 73 to 93 depending on FO using the CB-135. I think you've got something regarding the different types of soy wax - and that may be why some of the wick recommendation charts give a range of up to 6 sizes.

Ooookay...gotcha. I kinda figured it had to do with wax. But now especially seeing someone who uses the same wax and same wicks, it's pretty obvious.

I thought maybe it was me who was missing something and maybe using too small wicks for some reason but they do seem to always work nicely :cheesy2:

I'm considering trying out a different wax (in addition to what I'm already using, just for fun) so it looks like I'll definitely have to test wicks again.

Thanks!

With the 8 oz jelly I use 73 to 93 depending on FO using the CB-135. I think you've got something regarding the different types of soy wax - and that may be why some of the wick recommendation charts give a range of up to 6 sizes.

But you know, I was just thinking, the recommendation of wicks came from the makers of the wax we use! I know it's just a starting point, but to recommend a HTP 104-105 wick for a 2-3 inch diameter jar is crazy...at least for CB-135. For someone starting out, they may not know that it's just a "starting point" and think that's the wick they should use because that's what the wax maker's chart said.

Oh well, it's just something I had noticed....

I use 464 and HTP 105. I tried 83 when I was testing and didn't get a full melt pool out of it. 105 works good with most of my fragrances. I am testing ECO 10 in my 12 oz jars now because that is what the wholesaler closest to me sells.