How soon after wax is poured do you poke relief holes?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but every time I poke relief holes in my 3 x 3 pillars, it's either too soon where the wax ends up melting around my wick and I end up with one big hole in the middle or I've waited too long to the point where I can't poke the holes at all. So my question is, how long do you wait to poke relief holes after you pour wax into pillar molds? I can't seem to get it right. :(

When I see a thick skin on top...I'll poke holes. I'll go back again about an hour later...poke again. I'm not sure how long it takes to form that skin that I look for. I just pour...walk away and do other things then poke when I happen to walk by and see the skin lol.

HTH :)

Thanks for both your replies. Wasn't sure if there was some exact science to it. Usually what ends up happening, while waiting for the skin to form, I either get impatient and start poking away making a mess of things or I get side tracked and forget to check and then it's to late to poke. I'm just going to have to do a little experiment next time and keep track of just how long it takes to form a thick skin ideal for pokage. :grin2:

while waiting for the skin to form, I either get impatient and start poking away making a mess of things or I get side tracked and forget to check and then it's to late to poke

Yep, that's me. too. Now I make sure I have other projects going on in my candleroom to keep me in there (and the pillar in my face) so I don't wander off and forget it. I often pour votives & layered candles when I do pillars, so that gives me other things to do while waiting. :)