More 6006 Questions

A couple more qustions regarding 6006. For those that use this do you always get nice creamy smooth tops or do you get crackling or uneven color discoloration on top?

I have used this for quite some time and it seems like I always have had nice tops just had to fight the sink hole issue occasionally.

Lately I seem to be having problems with this. It seems like my tops don't look nice and smooth anymore. I can't figure out if something is going on with this case of wax or if the colder weather is causing problems for me. They aren't really "cracking" but they do have color variations that makes it not look nice and pretty and creamy. I even have been covering with a box. I pour around 170-180 so I don't think I am pouring at the wrong temp.

Just for the heck of it I pulled out some onld Taylored replacement 30/70 wax I had. (70% paraffin/20% soy and 10% petro) They compare this to the 6006 but I can tell it's sligthly different. These candles look beautiful. Nice and creamy, beautiful coloring and no sink holes.

Even made me think about switching to it. However I am test burning two candles exactly the same except for one has the Taylored wax and one has 6006. While the Taylored one is performing well enough I think the 6006 is giving off a slightly better HT. The 6006 is burning faster though and reached full melt pool faster.

So I think if I can ever get my wicking figured out so that I am satisfied with it I'll try the 85% 6006 and 15% ezsoy tip and see how that works out.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions with the top appearance thought I would appreciate it. I am not even getting much in the way of wet spots. Just this crazy top situation.

Stella I'll see if I can figure out how to load a picture! I am technically challenged that way but agree a picture would help.

candles4ever: I actually just posted tonight about cd wicks with this wax and a good starting point for my containers. I am definitely going to try it out.

I use 6006 with 15% added soy. Heat to 185-190, add dye and stir real well (a must when adding in the soy), add FO and pour into room temp. jars. After pouring, I crowd them together and fix the wicks. Let them cool slowly. I just leave them alone. Cooling too fast will create sink holes.

I've never had to do a repour. Smooth tops and creamy appearance.

CD wicks work great in this wax.

A couple more qustions regarding 6006. For those that use this do you always get nice creamy smooth tops or do you get crackling or uneven color discoloration on top?

I have used this for quite some time and it seems like I always have had nice tops just had to fight the sink hole issue occasionally.

Lately I seem to be having problems with this. It seems like my tops don't look nice and smooth anymore. I can't figure out if something is going on with this case of wax or if the colder weather is causing problems for me. They aren't really "cracking" but they do have color variations that makes it not look nice and pretty and creamy. I even have been covering with a box. I pour around 170-180 so I don't think I am pouring at the wrong temp.

Just for the heck of it I pulled out some onld Taylored replacement 30/70 wax I had. (70% paraffin/20% soy and 10% petro) They compare this to the 6006 but I can tell it's sligthly different. These candles look beautiful. Nice and creamy, beautiful coloring and no sink holes.

Even made me think about switching to it. However I am test burning two candles exactly the same except for one has the Taylored wax and one has 6006. While the Taylored one is performing well enough I think the 6006 is giving off a slightly better HT. The 6006 is burning faster though and reached full melt pool faster.

So I think if I can ever get my wicking figured out so that I am satisfied with it I'll try the 85% 6006 and 15% ezsoy tip and see how that works out.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions with the top appearance thought I would appreciate it. I am not even getting much in the way of wet spots. Just this crazy top situation.

Thanks for the tips. I actually tried the added soy last night and must say I am pleased with the results. I haven't tested them yet but the appearance as far as sink holes looks better. I even poured one with straight 6006 to do a side by side comparison and I could tell a difference.

I still want to post pictures. I have a new computer and haven't loaded everything up on here yet. I am hoping to share tomorrow.