Wholesale Tarts

Prim-Beginnings

Just wondering what some of your opinions are on selling tarts wholesale? I have stuck with retail for now, but would like to expand customer base. Should I just wait and let it expand naturally or try to jump into wholesale? I lean away from wholesale. I've been thinking of ways to get the tarts out to a new customer base. Been to a few craft fairs, not thinking that will be my route. Maybe 1 or 2 select local fairs.

My question is, is it worth it? The $$ on tarts is so minimal, but wholesale is volume. Does anyone sell tarts wholesale that wants to share? You can pm to keep it private if you like.

I pour a 1 oz tart, and by my calculations, I belive they cost me around 33 cents each. I buy my wax in 50 lbs boxes, but I still buy FO in small 8-16oz bottles because I just don't have that much volume yet. I sell my tarts for .90 to the public for retail. I would suspect .66 to resellers for wholesale would be about right, if they would even buy it. It sounds high to me, for wholesale.

We have a few local shops that I think would be interested in my tarts, if they do not have to be 'loyal' by contract with other tart suppliers. Other local tarts of equal size sell at the shops for 1.25.

Dont sell yourself short. If you have to question if its worth it.. its probably not worth it.

Think about it this way.. what is your time worth? Say you only make .30c (after supplies) per tart... if you sold 1000 tarts, you are still only making $300.00.

Is 300.00, worth the hours and time that went into pouring 1000 tarts? If yes, go for it! But if not... ask yourself what you expect to make and go from there.

Dont compare yourself to the big guys, but you can use their prices to figure out what yours are worth.

Say Scentsy is at a show you are at, since they arent in stores. They charge 4.50 for their clamshells. You charge 4.00, and boom... you'll steal some business for sure, AND you know your product is superior and handmade, not just "resold". Use that same talking point with wholesale accounts. Would they rather support handmade, at a lower price, or keep supporting the "big guy" (aka yankme.). Assume 50%. Retail sell for 4.... wholesale for 2.

If they reject your price, dont be afraid to ask "what price can I give you to change your mind." Maybe you can do it, maybe you cant.. but its worth asking.

We also pour a 1 oz tart, shrink wrap and labeled. We sell wholesale for $1.30, markets for $1.60 and retail for $2.95 and have not had any complaints at this point.

We are also in Australia BTW.

Whoa, $2.95 for tarts retail? I'm moving to Australia!!! :)

Very well put. I'll have to think about it longer. I've found I never regret taking my time making a decision.

So, suggestions on getting tarts out there to new people?

I have a website, but no one is going to buy tarts they can't smell until they have had a few and know them to be good.

I am donating some to our local school for a fundraiser they have each year, they auction off the stuff donated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do melts wholesale & retail. I do 6 per package at 2.75 wholesale (well they have to now buy 2 same scent packages at 5.50), or they can purchase them in bulk of 24 or 48 same scent, those are my basic melts. I have had stores order the 24 count like 6 bags at a time, I even had a retail sale of 6 bags of 24 count (6 diff scents).

I definitely think it is worth it-as it, to me, seems a lot quicker to pour 24 melts than 24 candles and you pop them out, bag them and you are done. :) You can pm me if you have any other questions.

I also sell muffin melts, muffin top melts, star & hearts, cinna-minnie, and now am carrying bigger melts that are cookies and such...just to give variety. (but mind you I got into wholesale over 3 years ago) and just build as I go.

Guess more or less to me it is worth it. Also I offer scent sniffies for people to get to sample the scent first if they wish. I give 10 free per order and after that I sell them by the dozen.

Edited by BeckyW

We have a few local shops that I think would be interested in my tarts, if they do not have to be 'loyal' by contract with other tart suppliers. Other local tarts of equal size sell at the shops for 1.25.

Normally, it's not a shop that has to be "loyal," it's the other way around--a supplier who is "loyal" to a shop and won't offer their product to nearby competitors, so you shouldn't let that idea prevent you from approaching any shop about your tarts.

If you don't make a huge profit off of the tarts, consider adding accessories such as warmers--cups, plates, trays, lamps, etc., to melt them in. If you buy a large volume you can lower the price enough so that the price will be attractive to the shop owner to buy them from you, instead of buying them direct and having to make a large opening order just for warmers.

If necessary, a co-op here could help you with getting warmers cheaply. The same goes with other supplies you might need, such as packaging--clamshells, labels, etc.

Just wondering what some of your opinions are on selling tarts wholesale? I have stuck with retail for now, but would like to expand customer base. Should I just wait and let it expand naturally or try to jump into wholesale? I lean away from wholesale. I've been thinking of ways to get the tarts out to a new customer base. Been to a few craft fairs, not thinking that will be my route. Maybe 1 or 2 select local fairs.

My question is, is it worth it? The $$ on tarts is so minimal, but wholesale is volume. Does anyone sell tarts wholesale that wants to share? You can pm to keep it private if you like.

I pour a 1 oz tart, and by my calculations, I belive they cost me around 33 cents each. I buy my wax in 50 lbs boxes, but I still buy FO in small 8-16oz bottles because I just don't have that much volume yet. I sell my tarts for .90 to the public for retail. I would suspect .66 to resellers for wholesale would be about right, if they would even buy it. It sounds high to me, for wholesale.

I have not read all the posts, so maybe this is mentioned already.

If I am understanding you correctly, you sell packages of 1 tart.

Could you revamp your packaging so more you have multiple tarts in a package for wholesale? I would think (don't really know since I'm still in tart testing stage) that packaging in multiples would save you time on wrapping and may be more appealing to a prospective wholesale account.

I do sell warmers to my retail crowd. I've never considered selling them to stores, since they can purchase them themselves. I love to buy the irvin country tinware warmers. One costs me about 13.00 after SH right now. What would you price them at 15.00? Would a shop even consider that?

My sniffies are the "air freshner paper" cut up into squares, I use a paper cutter. I buy the paper by the sheets like 8 1/2 x11, squirt some scent on them, put them in a small zip lock baggie with the scent on a sticker. It is cheaper than what I used to do (send a tart of each scent), and I always say-these smell better in wax...lol and it works.

Where do you find air freshener paper?

I went to the page I ordered it from and this is the link

http://wickscandlesupplies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WCS&Product_Code=aa-blank-sheets&Category_Code=aroma-art

She sells by the sheet but gives discounts for the more you buy.

Hope this helps.

I had found 1 other place but they were more expensive.

Becky