funny taste in lip balm

rebeccasbeads

I'm new to craft server so I'm not too sure how everything works.

But I do have a question!

I've started making lip balm, but it has a funny taste to it and I'm wondering which ingredient might have that taste?

the ingredients are:

beeswax

shea butter

cocoa butter

aloe vera butter

sunflower seed oil

coconut oil

and vitamin E

If someone could help me out that would be great!

Maybe it's your flavor oil. Many of them have delicious names and smell wonderful, but if you taste a drop of the liquid on your finger it tastes more like cough syrup--it is not sweet as the name would imply.

In my experience with the ingredients you mentioned, except for flavor oil, and Vitamin E, they are pretty flavorless. I have never tasted Vitamin E though, so I can't say if that would be the cause, but my money is on the flavor oil.

It could be your flavor oil, that's the most likely bet. If the flavor isn't pre sweetened, then adding a lip balm sweetener would help. If that still doesn't help and you still get that taste, it's either the flavor itself or the next thing I would look at is how fresh the sunflower oil is. When that stuff goes bad it's awful!

I've noticed lip balm flavoring varies seriously from supplier to supplier, some are great, others, ICK! So I'd definately start there....

Just another note, and I don't mean to disagree with a previous poster, but I personally would avoid a lip balm sweetener for one simple reason.

From what I have read, using a lip balm sweetener can actually make your lips drier because you are more apt to continually and unconciously lick your lips causing them to dry out. :undecided