FO seepage

I think your temperature swings can cause problems with frosting or maybe even the tops not setting up right, but it's hard to believe it can cause a puddle of fragrance oil on top of the candle when you're only using 1 oz per pound. In fact it sounds a bit preposterous, especially with the manufacturer claiming a capacity up to twice that much. I'm still looking forward to hearing the results without the CO. If that additive decreases the fragrance capacity of the wax, it would be a good thing to know.

I completely agree with you, but I swear it happened. The other thing is even if my scale is a bit wonky (it really isn't) I would be able to tell by looking at the volume of the FO in the container if it was grossly over what I should be using. I am going to do it without the CO and see. I know I keep saying that =p I will have the time tomorrow to mess with it.

LOL - I think you'll be able to work it out. I KNOW your house can't be as drafty as mine or you'd never be able to afford the heating bills up there! You will find a good pouring area and develop your own techniques to overcome these problems. You're new to soy and this is just part of the learning curve. :)

Oh boy, you really don't want to know what my gas bill was last month.

I really think that particular room is my safest bet for now. The only other rooms (aside from the kitchen and I have ruled that out because the draft from letting the dogs out the back door drops the temp in there like crazy)

that would be plausible don't have radiators.

How about you come for a visit and just supervise me :rolleyes2

The rack is to allow air flow under the candles to encourage the bottom to cool at the same rate as the sides and top. A shoe box is NOT adequate. It isn't deep enough nor is the cardboard heavy enough to insulate much. Putting anything too close to the surface of the candle concentrates the heat rising from the candle and makes the top of the candle look mighty rough. This is why we wait to put lids on soy candles until they are COMPLETELY cooled to the absolute core of the candle. I usually wait at least 24 hours, although I do throw a towel over them after they are cool just to keep airborne dust,detritus from settling on the surface of the candles. A larger, heavy cardboard box is preferable. When I use boxes, I try to leave at least 4"-6" of airspace over the candles. What you are trying for is an insulated mini-chamber for the candles to cool EVENLY and gradually. This doesn't mean the slower, the better... Sometimes styrofoam insulates too much - great for palm wax, not so great for soy. There's a happy medium you are looking to effect. :)

Edited by Stella1952

Should I wait until I find a suitable box?
Ummmmm, I think I would try to find something suitable so I wouldn't spin my wheels. I've used lots of things to cover candles - pour pots for votives, inverted styro coolers, dish cloths, paper towels - it just depends on how cold and drafty the room is... In the summer, I throw a paper towel loosely over the wicks of the cooling candles and it works great. Look around your house - you probably have something that'll work fine. Just make sure you have 4"-6" of headspace above the candles and good air circulation all the way around... Heck, you can turn the oven on to warm (don't go over 200°F - 175° is about right), put the candles in and turn the oven off. They'll cool nicely in there... (DO put them on a rack in a pan in case of spills) :) Edited by Stella1952