Wax Pops Up Around Wick

Apologies in advance if this subject as been covered in the past, searched but didn't find anything....

It's like the wick has sprouted like a new little plant and pops up a piece of the wax! Not huge, just a little piece; sometimes there may be a minor crater also.

I'm pouring votives, Ecosoya PB... adding color/FO at 175, pouring at 150 (plus/minus a little). Have tried pouring with wicks already in cups, placing wicks after wax starts to set up; have tried covering to keep warm; still happens.

In searching for an answer I'm thinking this is a temperature issue as I am pouring them in a cool basement - - I've read that pouring at a cooler temp. may be the solution - can I pour this wax at any temp. as long as it still pours????

I know I can fix this with the heat gun, don't want to do a second pour....just want them to be perfect right off :smiley2:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I think I'm going to need a little more direction CareBare,,, I searched for just nipples (not a good idea), my candles have nipples, nipples on my candles,,, I'm finding all kinds of semi-interesting info but nothing to do with my wax popping problem!

In searching for an answer I'm thinking this is a temperature issue as I am pouring them in a cool basement - - I've read that pouring at a cooler temp. may be the solution - can I pour this wax at any temp. as long as it still pours????

First, have you read the manufacturer's instructions for using EcoSoya PB? Check here for that info.

I know I can fix this with the heat gun, don't want to do a second pour....just want them to be perfect right off

Well, making perfect candles right off the bat is a pretty unrealistic expectation! When the environmental conditions are perfect, and the production methods are perfect, you have a better chance of producing perfect candles. There is nothing wrong with heatgunning the tops to improve the cosmetic appearance of the votives. It only takes a moment or two. While a second pour may be a PITA, it is one of the tried and true techniques one can use to attain a "perfect" candle in an otherwise imperfect setting. Pouring soy candles is not as easy as "melt & pour" - there's a lot of knowledge, experience and technique that goes into it.

Since you already know your basement is "cool" (what temperature?), you are going to have to compensate for that or heat your pouring area. The temperature difference between 150°F and, say, 50°F is 100°! Little votives cool very quickly. To release from the mold, the wax must shrink somewhat. When shrinkage happens so fast, you can expect imperfections to occur.

My best advice is to slow down, read up on the possible causes & solutions and give yourself a chance to learn how to get the best results from your wax. :)

Thank you so much for the link to NGI - looks like they recommend a different wick that the wax supplier I've bought from :o\

The fact their site plainly states to pour the candles at a room temp. of around 70 degrees pretty much lets me know what my problem is in regard to the wicks popping.

I wish the resellers of this wax would have this detailed information listed for these waxes.

Thanks again

looks like they recommend a different wick that the wax supplier I've bought from
What kind of wicks are you using? While NGI recommends HTP, RRD, CD & Eco, that does not mean that other types will not work...
I wish the resellers of this wax would have this detailed information listed for these waxes
Many suppliers have links to manufacturers' websites from their pages. Some even offer some of the documents (MSDS, TDS, etc.), but they simply can't offer the range of information that Nature's Gifts (or other manufacturers) can about EcoSoya products. I think NGI has the BEST wax manufacturer's website of any I have read!:yay: I wish they were all as comprehensive...:undecided Be sure to read & click all over it because there is a lot there! It's not only just of interest to folks who use their products, but to anyone wanting to learn more about soy wax in general. HTH :)

If the basement is too cool, and a box doesn't slow down the cooling enough, try setting them in a styrofoam cooler on a cookie rack. Cooling in a prewarmed (150°F - then turn off) oven is another way to beat the cold. :)

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks Stella == I have been using LX wicks, and do experience some mushrooming. I was just on NGI's site and for the life of me I can't find where I read not to use LX wicks because they may mushroom. Maybe I dreamed it :smiley2:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and advice :highfive: