I can't believe this...

I made some tea lights last night and started test burning them today. I just used some left over tart wax and lit it today...at 1:15...and it's still burning...at 9:20 pm!! It should be going out pretty soon but how is that possible? The tea lights I buy in bulk at department stores last any where from 3-4 hours. Could it be because I used container and preblended pillar wax instead of straight paraffin? Oh yeah...I forgot to add that the tea light cups are 3/4" in height. That would get me some extra burn time but 8 hours...boy, that's a lot. These are going to be great for my burners.

I've only made a few tea lights, but I used my pillar wax, 4625. They burned about 8 hrs.

Added: I don't know about all of them, but the cheap tea lights I've gotten at the dollar store look like they're compressed wax granules, which has a small amount of air packed in there too. Once they melt and harden one time, there's no where as much wax as as it looked like to begin with. May partly explain why they don't burn as long. From what I've seen, they're not advertised for how long they burn. Consequently, they can make changes to use less wax and shorten time without the consumer ever knowing as long as it looks the same...

Wow...so I guess it's not so out of the ordinary after all. I never wanted to make them in the past because I thought they'd be a pain in the ass. Now that I see how much longer these last, I'm always going to make them. Thanks for the response Satin.