Wicks comparison

I am confused about your question. Why does the relative heat matter? As for interchangeability - you can use whatever wicks work best in your application... The wicks I use (CDs & CDNs) are a combination of cotton flat braid with paper filament woven around it... :confused:

Perhaps the information you are seeking can be found at one of the following links:

http://www.wickit.net/index.html

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

Stella, I asked because I remember reading somewhere that zinc was the coolest burning. Then I read that paper wicks are the hottest, but somewhere else it mentioned cotton. I'm just curious and trying to learn. I need to find a good website on wicks where I can read to my heart's content - that way I will also quit pestering you guys with my newbie questions!:embarasse

Stella, I asked because I remember reading somewhere that zinc was the coolest burning. Then I read that paper wicks are the hottest, but somewhere else it mentioned cotton. I'm just curious and trying to learn. I need to find a good website on wicks where I can read to my heart's content - that way I will also quit pestering you guys with my newbie questions!:embarasse

I have read that before too. I'll see if I can find it. Here you go and good luck.

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_candle_wicks.php

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

Edited by Sharon in KY

According to one of the links Sharon posted from Wicks Unlimited...

The cotton core wick produces the hottest flame of all cored wick which helps control carbon buildup. The paper core wick produces a cooler flame than the cotton core but offers more rigidity.
... obviously, size matters, but composition, shape (round, square, flat, etc.) and structure (ie. flat braided, square braided, etc.) do too.
Does a hot burn mean you can use a smaller wick, have a smaller (hotter) flame, get the same diameter MP, and avoid sooting problems that a cooler wick might have?
It could mean that... or not, depending upon the wax, additives, FO used, application (container candle, pillar, etc.)...

Could also mean it self-trims better and produces less 'shrooming... or not, depending upon the wax, additives, FO used, application (container candle, pillar, etc.)...:)

When they talk about the "hot" burn of cotton core, or the paper filament wicks like CD, HTP and ECO, they seem to be talking about the higher internal temperatures of the flame, which is supposed to produce more efficient combustion and decreased mushrooming.

When candlemakers talke about how hot a wick is, they're often talking about how large a melt pool it can produce in their candle, which is a different thing and just depends on what size you use.

IOW, so many variables that they might as well just say "these wicks are different from the others in a subtle, indefinite way" <smirk>. I mean, the "features" claimed are about the same on all of them. Self trimming, no mushrooms, even burn pool, etc.

I get mushrooms in my 464 containers (8%FO) whether it's a "hot" ECO or a "cool" CSN (treated flat braid, basically).

Can be frustrating, depending how perfect you're going for. Either tear your hair out, or accept slight problems and find that 2 sizes each of 3 different wick types all work pretty much the same (sometimes, depending on wax, FO, etc. ;) )

"RRD Wicks are recommended for viscous waxes such as palm waxes. RRD wicks are made of a unique cotton braided wick that curls slightly."

This is all I could find about the RRD wicks from the Peak's website. I don't think too many people use these; don't remember reading any post about them :confused:

Ravens, did you check the links you were given to two different WICK suppliers (WickIt & Wicks Unlimited) who carry many types of wicks? Many candle making suppliers purchase their wicking from them... Those are excellent sites to read all about wicks. You can also go to the specific wick manufacturer's site for more info on their products.

I agree, radellaf. Just because something we read suggests a certain type of wick does not mean that's always the best wick for a certain type of wax or your particular candle system and one can expect a certain amount of marketing blarney to be spread around in the manufacturer's & supplier's descriptions. Wicks, waxes, containers, shapes, FOs, additives all have to work TOGETHER. That's why people's experiences differ! While it's interesting to read and learn about different types, what matters is how they perform in our individual candles! :)

Stella, yes, I did but could not find info. about the RRD wicks. Good sites, but not with the info. I've been looking for.

Someone said that at one time RRD wicks were used for soy wax; wonder what happened. I may end up sending an email to Bert; she has the RRD wicks. They're also available from Peak's, but again not much info.:)

Ok, just "got back" from a site I rarely visit, and this is what it says:

RRD COTTON CORED GERMAN WICKS:

From the makers of the LX series, these are a round braided cotton cored wick treated with a special NST2 treatment designed to burn better in vegetable waxes. These wicks are able to consume viscous materials without clogging or drowning. They are made with controlled braid tensions and they burn standing straight with only a slight bend or curl at the very tip. They are known for having a consistent quality and maintaining a predictable flame height. Wax primed, pre-cut to 6 inch length and tabbed with 20mm round, 6mm neck tabs (unless otherwise noted).

The best explanation so far. I'll take that and move on!

Oh, it came from Bitter Creek.

Both sites have info on RRD wicks by Wedo. Here's the long description from Wicks Unlimited...

Wedo RRD Wicks

This is a round wick with a uniquely braided cotton core designed with tension threads that give the wick a slight, but effective, curl during combustion. The wick is directional in that capillary action flows more freely in one direction. Due to their intricate design, the RRD series provides a centered burn pool, self-trimming burn characteristics and a consistently high rate of fuel flow.

These wicks work well with viscous fuels such as vegetable wax, gels and one pours. They are effective in containers and especially useful in pillars due to their concentric burn pools.

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/wedo_RRD_wicks.php

Edited by Stella1952

Nope. Believe it or not, I am NOT a huge tester of candlemaking products. I use CDNs and a few CDs & square braid. When I find a product that works consistently well for me, I don't keep trying everything out there just for the sake of experimentation despite my native curiosity... First, I don't have the time to invest as I am busy testing production items. Second, because I don't have unlimited time and money to simply play with candles. I'll leave the "everything on the market" experimentation & evaluation for the pros! Just as I don't try every brand of flour with which to bake, I don't try every candle wax or wick just because it's out there. I tend to research products carefully before making a decision to try something new. Generally when I experiment with new products, it's because I am dissatisfied with the quality, no longer able to obtain my favorites (or they become too expensive) or having problems with some aspect of a product. :)

Stella, pardon me for saying this, but I just about choked when I read "leave the everything on the market experimentaion and evaluation for the pros". My goodness, I'm sure there is not one board member who wouldn't consider you a pro!

I can only hope to eventually be a fraction as good as you are when it comes to candlemaking!!

Hope you know you're very much appreciated. Thank you, Stella!:smiley2:

Thanks for your kind words, Ravens, but HONEST - I am soooo NOT a pro! There are folks here with vastly more experience than I'll ever possess! I am pleased with the products I make, but I have a LONG way to go to even begin to *hold a candle* to many longtime chandlers here. :bow: They are the folks who have shared their creative projects and ideas and pointed me in beneficial directions on more occasions than I can count, for which I am very grateful! I'm just a small-time candlemaker & *google queen*who loves yapping about candles with others who share the passion. :D

There are a few people on the board who routinely use RRDs. If you do a search you can find who they are. It's not a huge number.

Personally I've had them lying around for a long time but never found a use for them. Maybe because I've occasionally thrown them in a candle and never saw anything about their performance that made me turn from the tried and true.

Hardly anything works better in paraffin pillars than regular flat braid and there are lots of sizes. LX in some applications makes a good alternative to plain flat braid and there are lots of sizes. Hardly anything works better in containers and votives than CD and HTP and there are tons of sizes. When I need a cored wick the standard ones seem to work well and they have tons of sizes.

RRD has limited size options, which is often a hassle. It's directional, so if I buy raw spooled wick I have to worry about not using it upside down. Hopefully the suppliers of wick assemblies do it right side up, but who knows? There's also some ambiguity about which chemical treatment the importers are selling. Wicks Unlimited and their customers sell RRD with the NST 2 treatment, which I haven't had good results with in non-stearic applications. Wick-It doesn't specify which type of RRD they sell. CandleScience was another importer but they stopped selling it.

Occasionally we have hopeful excitement here over some new wicking possibility like Premier or whatever, but frankly I don't think the search for the magic wick ever solves the hard problems. The most popular and common wicks seem to pretty much cover the bases of what you might need.