candle business question

missymssy

I am again thinking of starting a business from this "hobby" of mine. Because of an injury years ago, my balance isn't very good while carrying something. Even a 5lb box. lol-so craft shows are definitely out. My question is to you all who have so much more experience. Would you feel concentrating on other selling options be just as productive? I mean, I've thought of web-based, consignment, wholesale, home parties and fundraisers.

If you have any experience (or horror stories), please share. I haven't really looked into any of them in great detail, and I'm not planning on jumping into all of them. Kind of thinking where best to start...Also, if there's an area I missed, please mention!

I know craft shows are good, but I can't imagine everyone on this board that sells does them.

TIA

Melissa

No one? lol

I thought of an additional question. For those that do home parties, is a good part of that taking orders, or only cash and carry?

A few months back, I did a lot of the research on liscensing, insurance, etc., so I think I'm going to be OK there. I just didn't think about this as well.

I don't see how you could possibly operate a business unless you used a drop shipper since you can't carry a 5lb box. If you're serious about selling candles (for example), you surely would have to order supplies that are going to weigh well over 5 lbs.

Do you have a partner or someone else who could assist you with the physical aspect of things like lifting? If you can't carry 5lbs, it seems that would be necessary whether you attempt to sell via internet, consignment, home parties, or wholesale.

If you don't want to do craft shows because of the carrying then you don't want to do home parties. Cash and Carry is the best for home parties for me. I might get the occassional order or two for scents that I didn't bring but I sell more cash and carry items.

Even with wholesale you will have deliver products to the place unless you get someone to deliver the stuff for you.

There is a lot of lifting and stuff with this type of business, if your seriously into it then I suggest get someone that will help you with the lifting part.

I am currently on crutches and have been for 3 weeks. My DH had to help me with the online orders and it was a real hassle. I am equating this with not being able to lift a packed box for shipping with not being able to lift 5 pounds. It would be real hard to do in my opinion. I was getting frustrated and he was getting annoyed. I have been doing this awhile so my online orders are repeat customers that order larger amounts at a time. Now I only sell soaps, lotions and scrubs. No candles.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I explained that wrong. Physically my stregnth is fine. I mean, my limbs work properly, etc. It's my balance that is terrible. I order my gel in 35lb boxes, but I'm just bringing it from my porch inside the door. I wouldn't be able to walk through someone's living room carrying a couple candles, though.

I work as an IT Tech for a large building, and a lot of my job consists of going to someone's desk and taking their PC to repair. But none of us carry it. Procedure is to put it on a cart and use the elevator.

So, to clarify, it's actually the walking AND carrying.

I'm thinking that when I do fundraisers, or home shows etc., I still have to carry boxes, and move them around the shop. Especially fundraisers; I fill the orders, pack up the boxes, and move them, and deliver them. Do you have someone there to do all of this for you?

I usually send out a packet of info to schools in August for fundraisers, if this helps. You can target teams, and choirs, churches etc.. I really don't do shows these days, because in my area they don't produce much in sales.