holy i cant remember

I havent made candles in a long time and I swear I have lost of the information I learned and had stored in my brain...lol

Question: Container candles...you measure the top of the jar for diameter to determine wick size, but i have some jars that are small at the top and then widen....so what do I measure for diameter?? Example I have a jar that the top of the jar diameter is 3 inch but the jars widens after the rim down. Does this make sense??? Man I need to re read and find my notes and get back into candle making!!!!

Wick sizes are always a guess for me as I don't make candles all the time. Maybe set up three and try what you think is about right and then one under and one over. Or pour the candle, make a whole with a chop stick so you can switch out wicks until you find the right one. Don't forget it burns different the further down it goes. I know this wasn't very helpful or expert advise, I just wanted to give some kind of answer.