Natural Preservative

cbv1

I was looking at the Pangea Organics website after reading an article about their all natural products. They say they do not use synthetic preservatives. From what I have read on this board over the years the majority here say there is no natural preservative. If so, what type of preservative could be used that isn't synthetic and is natural as organic companies do?

just subbing so I can keep an eye out. I purchased a preservative but it has parabens in it. :( There Optiphen Plus that is paraben free but when I was ordering stuff I didn't find it right away and I was ordering a whole ton of stuff from one place and didn't want to pay $10 shipping for 2oz of something.

After I bought the other preservative I thought "hey...I have burt's bees stuff in the shower...should have looked at what they use."

Well, it's called lactoperoxidase but you can't buy it (at least not that I've found).

I used to manage a health food store.. we had people return "natural- no preservative" products randomly (Burts bees being some of them) because of weird smells or molding. Then again, I found a container of burts bees hand cream I've had in an old purse for THREE YEARS and it was just fine when I opened the jar (Yes I threw it out, just opened it because I was curious, lol) so I think it depends on the product and whats in it.

I just use paraben free preservatives and figure if someone asks, I can explain why they are important.. and if they still have a problem.. they can buy elsewhere at their own risk!

Well, it's called lactoperoxidase but you can't buy it (at least not that I've found).

Wow.. lactoperoxidase is a peroxidase enzyme thats found in milk.. "lacto". Weird. An enzyme found in milk that oxidizes thiocyanate to bacteriostatic products.

from Wiki: "It is able to form reactive bromine and iodine species, resulting in natural organobromine and organoiodine substances, and can therefore be categorised as a haloperoxidase. It is fairly heat resistant and was widely used as an indicator of overpasteurization of milk." "Haloperoxidases are peroxidases that are able to mediate the oxidation of halides by hydrogen peroxide "

So from that I gather that it prevents Oxidation... uh... confused!

Also: Godfrey, et.al. (1990) found that there was a critical combination of LPO, glucose, glucose oxidase (GO), iodide and thiocyanate to be effective in cosmetics. The treatment was effective against a range of yeasts, fungi and viruses, as well as bacteria for periods of up to 4 months.

Interesting.. I love looking into stuff like this. Dont know how it helps me in any way though, how confusing. Am I the only one who wishes I went to school for Advanced Chemistry? LOL

Edited by LuminousBoutique
found more info