mixing cb 135 with paraffin

Has anyone mixed cb 135 with some paraffin? Have you noticed any significant advantages or disadvantages when mixed? Im looking to improve the hot throw mainly. I was thinking of trying a mixture of 75% cb 135 to 25% comfort blend (4627).

Yep, I did this on Sunday. Made a 70% CB135 + 30% IGI4630 candle, also a 50/50 blend. I'm letting them cure before I burn them, but so far the cold throw is only OK. I used 8% MC Sweet Orange & Chili Pepper, no dye. No frosting in either candle, but there are some big wet spots, also a large crack in the top of the 70/30. I poured at 165, so this might be avoided by pouring cooler.

Now I should mention that I haven't poured CB135 straight, so I can't compare anything to that.

Pixie, I'll be sure to do that. I mixed a bunch of different parasoys - CB135, CBA, GB464, GB415, and C-3. So far the 415 and 464 are running neck and neck for best cold throw, with the 464 taking a slight lead. The 70/30 mixtures have a stronger cold throw than the 50/50 mix. Maybe the hot throw will be opposite, we'll see!

Unlike all the other candles, the 70/30 415 candle had NO wet spots when poured at 165*. So it's the clear winner as far as appearance is concerned. None of the candles have frosted.

Edited by Gypsyjen

I don't have the 135 but I have the advanced. I wonder how well it would do if you mixed 75% paraffin and 25% soy? I know the idea is to have a soy candle but it seems like the ecosoya has a hard time with hot throw (esp the advanced). This way the wax wouldn't be wasted and it would technically be a parasoy (just not a 50/50 blend). Who knows, some of the parasoy blends on the market may be 25% soy 75% paraffin.

I think I may try it with the advanced I have.

Also have you tried adding vybar? I was going to try that with my advanced.

Wish I could help more but at this timeI only have the advanced not the 135.

You could certainly use that wax with paraffin. Besides eliminating the frosting I would expect it to boost the kinda "medium" scent throw of the CB-135. What caught my eye though was Jen's results with the ratios.

When mixing commercial paraffin blends with 70% soy I've generally found that the wax pulls away from the glass. Reversing those percentages or at least doing 50/50 seems to work better. In this case though she got a good result using 70% 415 with 4630, which is kinda cool.

Nice work. If Yoda were on the board I feel he would say, "Do or do not - there is no ask!"

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I mix 50/50 with 4630 & 464 and it seems to be a good ratio for getting the best qualities of both waxes. I tried the 4627 but did not like the results as much as with the 4630. I have gone as high as 70/30 parasoy with good results. oh, I do occasionally get a little frosting at 50/50 with certain colors but I seem to get good ct & ht at this ratio. HTH :smiley2:

Burn update: Unfortunately, it seems the paraffin did nothing to improve the scent throw of the CB135 at either 30% or 50% concentration. I can barely smell them burning. Surprisingly, one of the blends that had the most "meh" cold throw - 70% C-3 and 30% 4630 - had an excellent hot throw even with the wick almost drowning out. This will definitely take a bigger wick than the 464, 415, or 135 parasoys. I can't wait to see how it throws with an appropriately sized wick!