Lavender Dryer Bag

olebean

Has anybody made these? I've found some instructions that say to use muslin material, but can you use anything else?

Some sites that sell them, it looks like they made them in heat seal tea bags. Has anybody used these to make the dryer bags? If so, how do they hold up?

Looking for any ideas that you've tried that work good.

THanks a bunch!

I have a small organic lavender patch I harvest every year... I make dryer/drawer satchels with them. I just use the buds and a small amount of leaves, air dried in my studio for a week or so. I use linen and sew 5"x5" pouches, fill them, and hand stitch them closed. They have never come apart in the dryer for me, I'm a pretty careful seamstress though. I double and backstitch every corner and hand stitch it closed twice to ensure it doesnt come apart. I make 20-30 every year and store them in vacuum sealed bags until I use them, and they last me a very long time.. 6 months or so in a drawer and about 2 months in the dryer.

I wouldnt use anything less than muslin or linen because they are very strong durable fabrics that can hold up to months of being tossed around in the dryer. I cant see the tea bags working very well, all I can picture is them ripping open and hundreds of buds of lavender stuck all in my clothing, lol.

Cotton could work fine.. it just depends on the quality I guess, my only concern would be with unraveling or getting really worn over time. Wouldnt hurt to try!!

Luminous....could I just use cotton fabric? Would that work? Or do you think it would have to be linen or muslin?
Edited by LuminousBoutique
I need to stop typing so fast. lol

So the herbs don't disintegrate and start filtering out into your clothes after being thumped around in the dryer numerous times? Seems like all that heat and pounding would break the herbs down enough they'd start seeping out.

Or with my luck, the whole bag would come apart and I'd really have a mess in my dryer. Or worse, it would do this to someone I gave one to! :rolleyes2