Presot Pot Guide Question

Hi,

I am trying to modify a presto pot using the guide "Do-It-Yourself Wax Melter" from candletech but I ran into a few problems on the way.

http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/

On step 3, it instructs for me to tap the hole but it does not say what size tap I shoud use. I went to HomeDepot and Lowe's but I did not have any success finding the correct size for the 3/8" Hex Nipple.

I asked the customer service and the person said that they only have taps for screws, not for pipe related taps.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the tap? What size?

Thanks,

vinh

My husband made me one and said it has to be a pipe tap and that you could probably get one at an auto supply store. He said to get a tap sized to match your nipple. And also when you screw it in, you might want to use JB Weld on the threads to help seal it. You should be able to get that at an auto supply store also. Hope this helps. Beth

Edited by Lightning Bug
error in grammar

I bought a brass single outdoor water faucett (has a red handle). Cut your hole for the pipe to go through, drill holes for the screws and then seal with JB weld. It works just great. Its not a tap but I mean all you have to do is just turn the handle to open or close. Very simple and has lasted for years now. I don't use it anymore cause I have a turkey melter that gets me ready in minutes. HTH.

Steve

If you are starting out, it is just as easy to use a ladle to get your wax out of the presto.

When I first started, I bought all the stuff to put in a spigot.

What A PITA it was. I returned it all to Home Depot.. LOL

There are some candle suppliers that sell these pre-made presto's with spigots..

So you can check that out if you don't want to do it yourself...

I don't not use a spigot on any of my presto's. (I have 8)

I find it just as easy to ladle or pour out my wax..

I have been making candles for almost 10 years now..

Love my Ladle!!:laugh2:

I made the presto pot about three years ago when I first started making candles because I was tired of the double boiler. All I did is drill the hole and slowly thread the valve on a little then backed it out and turned a little more make sure to use some kind of lube to make it easier. After you get it in put a nut on the inside for extra strength and use Teflon tape to seal it up good. Mine has never leaked yet. Have a happy Thanksgiving.