GB464 users: How much FO are you using?

I have made up a number of 8 oz. candles using this wax, let it cure for over 2 weeks, and don't have a lot of HT. I used 1oz/pp, added FO at 170 and poured at 140. I am using Peaks FO. Amish Harvest, Xmas Tree, French Vanilla & Amber (Pewee!! Stinks BAD!) and cappucino hazelnut. I want something that throws like my Yankeis do.

Is anyone having luck adding 1.5oz/pp?

We use a custom blend of 464 and no crystalising container palm (which lowers the melt point). 1 oz / pp and get an awesome hot throw from pretty much every scent we have chosen so far.

We use some scents sourced locally here in Australia as well as some from NG. Havent yet tried the NG scents in soy, but they all throw very well in palm. Will wait till our spring again before testing them in soy.

I've used the Amish Harvest and Spruce Christmas Tree in 464 at 1.0 oz. pp in 8 oz jj's and it's plenty strong at 2 weeks. I use CD 8 wicks, no dyes. Could it be your wick is burning off the fragrance too quickly? I add FO at around 180 and pour at 150. I would think at 1.5 oz. pp it would be super strong. Of course I haven't burned a Yankee Candle in several years (my pre-candlemaking days) so my definition of strong could very well be your definition of weak.:cheesy2: Are you comparing to 8 oz containers of Yankee?

Naomi

I've used the Amish Harvest and Spruce Christmas Tree in 464 at 1.0 oz. pp in 8 oz jj's and it's plenty strong at 2 weeks. I use CD 8 wicks, no dyes. Could it be your wick is burning off the fragrance too quickly? I add FO at around 180 and pour at 150. I would think at 1.5 oz. pp it would be super strong. Of course I haven't burned a Yankee Candle in several years (my pre-candlemaking days) so my definition of strong could very well be your definition of weak.:cheesy2: Are you comparing to 8 oz containers of Yankee?

Naomi

Naomi, I have tried rrd, lx, & cd wicks and the cd's seem to be the best. The rrd's especially seemed to just give a headachy, hot wax, fuelly smell. But even when I put the candles on a candle warmer, they don't throw well. I always burned the large Yankee candles and really love them. I even just passed up a great sale on them, cuz I'm making my own now. But I'm just not satisfied YET!!:smiley2:

I use 464 in 6.5 and 11 oz. cube jars, and typically use 9% fo, which is about 1.44 oz pp. I've only used CS fragrances, and all of them are throwing great except Cinnamon Stick...which I don't like much anyway, so no biggie. :smiley2: I have some other scents curing right now that I haven't tried yet, but so far, so good. I also add fo at about 180 and pour 150-155, and do not use any dye. CD wicks for me too.

I am going to experiment with a little less fo on the heavier scents, such as Pumpkin Souffle, because it looks heavy and sort of greasy....I'm sure 1 oz pp would be fine for something that strong.

Edited by Catlover

I just ordered pumpkin souffle today, so thanks for the info. I'm trying CDN wicks right now and that seems to be working better. :yay: I have a CDN 10 in an 8oz sq. mason with Peaks Spruce Tree and it is throwing better than the rrd's, & cd's. I thought it may be a little small but so far its burning great with a FMP. We'll see how it does further down.

I use between 1-1.25oz per pound, scents from CS (Ocean Breeze, Plumeria, Gardenia, Clean Cotton) and have had great results. 8oz square mason jar containers. I used 2oz in 1lb on accident and it was a complete mess, had to remelt and add more wax... so I am staying on the safe side and using less than more. So far the throw has been amazing on all those scents.

I use 464 in 6.5 and 11 oz. cube jars, and typically use 9% fo, which is about 1.44 oz pp.

1.44 oz per lb is about 8.25%.

A better way to estimate ounces per pound versus percentage is to say that 1 oz per pound = 6%. So 1.5 oz per pound is 1.5 x 6 = 9%.

That's actually still less than 9%, but it's closer.

1.44 oz per lb is about 8.25%.

A better way to estimate ounces per pound versus percentage is to say that 1 oz per pound = 6%. So 1.5 oz per pound is 1.5 x 6 = 9%.

I'm the first to admit math is not my thing....so can you give a little remedial explanation on this calc? I had just been multiplying the ounces of wax by 9% and using that amt. for the fo. Does that get exponentially more wrong if I do that with large wax amounts? :embarasse

BTW, I was asked to participate in a little home Christmas "bazaar" thing, for lack of a better word, and I declined. If I've learned anything, I've certainly learned not to jump the gun when I think I've got it "right"! :wink2:

Edited by Catlover
trying to delete

.44 oz per lb is about 8.25%.

I'm the first to admit math is not my thing....so can you give a little remedial explanation on this calc? I had just been multiplying the ounces of wax by 9% and using that amt. for the fo. Does that get exponentially more wrong if I do that with large wax amounts? :embarasse

BTW, I was asked to participate in a little home Christmas "bazaar" thing, for lack of a better word, and I declined. If I've learned anything, I've certainly learned not to jump the gun when I think I've got it "right"! :wink2:

I'm the first to admit math is not my thing....so can you give a little remedial explanation on this calc?

Maybe at some point I'll compose a more detailed post that people can refer to, but basically there are two completely different methods of writing down candle formulas and calculating ingredient weights.

The percentage method is based on the concentration of ingredients in the finished product. This method is useful because it can deal with any number of ingredients in any amount. By this method, we see that 16 oz wax + 1.44 oz FO is 17.44 oz finished product. The percentage of FO is 1.44/17.44 = 8.26%.

The other method is mainly useful when you have two ingredients, namely wax and fragrance oil. We simply use a ratio of some amount of FO per some amount of wax. The units can be anything. Whether it's ounces per pound, or grams per ounce, or gallons per ton, or anything per anything, it's still the same method.

Your calculation of .09 per ounce isn't the percentage method. It's exactly the same method as ounces per pound. In this case, you're just saying "nine hundredths of an ounce FO per ounce of wax."

1.5 oz per pound isn't exact either, but it's a closer approximation of 9%. That gives us 1.5 oz FO + 16 oz wax = 17.5 oz finished product. The percentage of FO is 1.5/17.5 = 8.57%.

Gotcha. I've been doing it right--we just explain it differently. :)

It's not really a right or wrong thing. You are doing ounces per pound, but changing the units. There's nothing wrong with that, except that it can confuse things a little when you talk about it as percentages.

To get what you would call "9% FO" in the candle industry, you'd have to add 1.58 oz FO to 1 lb of wax.

5% = 0.84 oz / lb

6% = 1.02 oz / lb

7% = 1.20 oz / lb

8% = 1.39 oz / lb

9% = 1.58 oz / lb

10% = 1.78 oz /lb

• 1 month later...
It's not really a right or wrong thing. You are doing ounces per pound, but changing the units. There's nothing wrong with that, except that it can confuse things a little when you talk about it as percentages.

To get what you would call "9% FO" in the candle industry, you'd have to add 1.58 oz FO to 1 lb of wax.

5% = 0.84 oz / lb

6% = 1.02 oz / lb

7% = 1.20 oz / lb

8% = 1.39 oz / lb

9% = 1.58 oz / lb

10% = 1.78 oz /lb

Thanks for the information. I have been looking for something like this.