Remelting a tester...

Hi! Well, I have made a 75 / 25 mixture of 415 / 6006 with 1/ 2 ounce CO and 8% FO. As I was pouring the wax into my container, my wick came unattached from the bottom. I has set up. I was wondering if I can remelt the wax and pour it into a new test container. Right now I'm just trying to test for wick size, I understand that if I remelt the tester, I will lose some of the scent. I'm off now to go buy a high temp glue gun...

I never attach my wicks to a tester. I poke a hole down the middle with a skewer and insert my wick so if I can see it's not gonna work right off the bat, I can yank it out with my needle nose plyers and put another wick in. I just have to remember most wick's are directional and you have to insert the right end. If it's in there and in proper burning area I wouldn't melt it down.:):)

I have remelted in the oven slowly and then turned the oven off to let it resolidify though. Good luck.:yay:

Linda

You can remelt it if you want to. You won't lose any noticeable amount of fragrance.

Or if the wick isn't too crooked you can still light it up and test the wick.

Linda, almost NO wicks are directional. You can insert them any way you want. Just about the only directional wick that anybody uses around here is RRD.

Linda, almost NO wicks are directional. You can insert them any way you want. Just about the only directional wick that anybody uses around here is RRD.

That's really great to know - I'm sick of squinting trying to compare a cut off piece (where I didnt' mark the cut off end) with a tabbed wick to see which end is up - I've ended up throwing out quite a few cause I thought they had to point right way up !!

Something else new I learned today - thanks ! :-)

WOW, I was told by a professional that wicks were directional. Thanks Top for clearing that up. I thought the^^had point this way. I did read the CDN's weren't directional but I thought all others were.:rolleyes2

Linda

Maybe I'll try turning one over, just cause I need to try it:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Thanks, Linda! That's a great idea. I will have to remember that method for the future...I am now thinking of all the testers and wax I have wasted...:tiptoe: Ooops..

Thanks, Top...I think I will have to remelt...I'm glad to know that it won't burn too much fragrance off...this is a new mixture to me, so it'll be bonus to be able to test wicks and possibly fragrance the same time... I have a CDN 14 in the tester now...I used the wick centering tool when I poured, but after the first burn, the wick has drifted noticeably to one side...so I'll remelt, repour, and we'll see what happens...

Thanks!!

Really funny this came up, I made 2 testers last night 1 came out horrible they were both pour the same temp, the bad 1 cracked in a circular pattern on the top and the top 1/3 cracked all the way around inside the jar different FO and color. I am now remelting it (Thanks Top). Tried to heat gun the top a little, no luck.

I used 1 pound ecosoy advanced and 2tsp pp of CO the night before, melted it down shut of the presto pot tempering??and made the candles last night 6% (or so) FO ea, @ drops color. The one came out great so far good adhesion great ct.:yay:the other one is in the oven.:mad:

I can smell it through out the whole house. Let me know how yours does please.:)

I am doing the same application with the accusoy tonight. Hope they both come out good. Jar adhesion is a problem here in this colder climate.

Linda

Edited by soy327

Well, I remelted it... I ended up doing it in the microwave...don't know if that's an ideal way or not. It was a lot easier and less messy than I Imagined. It was completely melted in 2.5 minutes...then just poured it into my newly wicked container...:smiley2: It set up very smooth and pretty...I'm not used to that!:cheesy2: I am burning it now...it hasn't quite been 24 hours yet...I don't know if I was supposed to let it "cure" again? It's been burning about 1/2 hour and I don't smell much...probably could be a number of reasons why...

How did yours work out? How is the throw? I read somewhere on here of some others having a cracks when using CO...I think they had to use less to fix it. Not sure if that's why you had cracking or not, just thought I'd throw it out there...:smiley2:

Mine is curing ct really good I never had the ecosoya crack before. I poured at the same time different scent, Cinnamon & creme brulee, different color red and light brown, the red cinnamon started a little circular crack but didn't quit crack all the way. The one I put in the oven(creme brulee) looks pretty good. Thats the one that was bad.

Made 2 accu-soy last night and both are better no cracking (I added 2 tsp CO pp to all)they look great poured those at 125 though, poured the ecosoya at 145. Tonight did the same thing with coconut wax, changed the color in the creme brulee (no CO of course) poured at 145. I'm tired sorry for the ramble.

Also made my favorite palm wax tonight Cinnamon, red That helps the monotany I always love the palm. I know what it's going to look like and I think this is my final tester. Very hard jar to wick, square victorian 16oz wax, 2 cd 8's, should:rolleyes2:rolleyes2be perfect. I will post pic later.

Linda

I put 2 tsp of the louann CO, I am going to do that next. I'm thinking 25% coconut wax and 75% advanced. I will do it tonight and see what happens after curing. let you know by Saturday?:yay:made 2 coconut candle last night cinnamon and a creme brulee they look good for adhesion this morning, but frosted around the interior top, no cracking. They say to pour hot tried that they cracked. Poured these 2 at 145.:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Linda