Hot throw problems

Good Morning,

I use C-3 and have followed the manufacturer's instructions- heated to 180, added FO and poured at 120-125. I'm using 1 - 1.5 FO per lb. FO's are from LS, NG & Mr Missys. I feel that my hot throw could be a little stronger, regardless of which oils I use. I've tried adding a couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil, but didn't notice any difference. Someone recently told me that adding the FO at the higher temp is causing it to dissipate into the air while the wax is cooling. They suggested adding the FO at 125 and pouring immediately after adding it. Has anyone heard of this or tried it before with the C-3? Anyone using C-3 that can offer any advice?

Thank you.

This has been discussed often. The search function is your best friend! The link explains how to use not only the site search tool, but also the Google site search (best choice!) as well. ;)

You did not mention the size/shape of your container nor the type/size wick you are using. That makes a difference with HT. I add USA (1 Tablespoonful/pp) to reduce frosting issues, smooth out the tops & enhance the HT of C3. Works quite well for me. I use CDN wicks, except for very small candles (votives) where I switch to CDs.

I get the best overall results by heating C3 to 195°F, dropping the temp to the slushy stage, stirring constantly, then raising it to 185°F, adding hot wax to the pour pot containing the FO & dye, stirring constantly, and pouring at 165°F.

One FO legend is that if added too hot, the FO evaporates before pouring. The other says that if the FO is added too cool, it will not "incorporate" properly into the wax. I have never noticed any difference in whether FO is added hot nor cool. What DOES matter is that you stir it enough to get it fully distributed. Some very heavy oils need more stirring than other lighter oils.

Curing your candles for 2-7 days before testing or burning will improve the throw of many FOs, particularly more delicate ones. HTH :)

I use C3...I heat to 200* add to pour pot stir in fo, color if you use it and stir,stir ,stir then pour into my containers.I don't add anything else to the wax and 9 times out of ten I have smooth tops and no frosting.I had to recently add color I used liquid then ran out and used dye chips..the liquid candles all frosted the candles I used chips in did not.Go figure!

HTH..Kim

Edited by kimmeroo