Coconut Oil?

I notice that many people use coconut oil to help their candles perform better in soy. I am curious as to what kind you use. Can you get it anywhere, or is there a certain brand/type I should use? I have some in my food pantry but wasn't sure if I can use this or not.

By quickly searching the forums, the answer is repeated along with information on specific amounts people use for specific waxes.

WalMart carries LouAna76 coconut oil (liquid at 76°F). Some suppliers, like JBN, also carry it. Many soap suppliers carry coconut oil. The amount used varies between 1/2 tsp. pp to more than 1 tablespoonful pp, depending on who's writing. Unless you have unrefined, organic, expeller-pressed coconut oil on your shelf, the normal stuff found in the grocery stores is fine for candlemaking. :)

Before using it, what issues are you trying to correct in what brand of soy wax?

Edited by Stella1952

Stella,

Thank You very much! I searched the forums before posting my thread but couldn't find any specifics about it....probally operator error on my part. I saw the stuff that JBN sells but wasn't sure if I had to get that particular kind or could just use any old coconut oil.

I think the oil I have will do. I am going to start working with GB 444 and then 464. I am currently working with ecosoya 135, and c-3...doesn't have that great of a throw at least from what ive tested, so I think I'll move on to Golden Brands again. I used to use 415 but was never completely satisfied, so i've been testing other waxes like a crazy mad scientist!

I'm also testing different tart waxes...don't think I'll need it for that wax though.

Thanks again!

The Google site search tool is more effective (than the one up on the toolbar here) for drilling down for specific searches. ;)

I can't speak for EcoSoya 135, but C3 has a very good hot throw, so I'm puzzled that you are having problems with it...

Happy testing & have fun! :D

I was using htp 105 and cotton wicks in the c-3. So maybe that was my problem with the scent throw. I have only been using c-3 a few months. So maybe I'll try it with the different wicks and the coconut oil and compare it with the 444 and 464. I notice most people use the CD's or CDN's. I always thought CD and cotton were the same thing.

I gotta get cookin. My big craft show is in 4 weeks!

Thanks again for your help!