natural color

tamtam

Has anyone had any experience using natural colorants for MP? Things like spirulina, tumeric, paprika, etc. I know you can use clays, micas and UM, but am wondering about others. thanks, I have searched but can't seem to find much info on using these in MP.

I've used paprika before. It was quite a while ago and I only tried it once cause I didn't want the color I ended up with. If I recall I got a mixed light rust with a speckled look (from the paprika that didn't mix). It was an experiment when I was trying out some natural additives.

So yes you can use it just mix well. Lots of people like to use natural ingredients in their M&P.

I seem to recall someone on this board that used a lot of natural ingredients to color their soap.

I've used some natural ingredients--annatto, sea kelp, and others, but I wasn't very pleased with the results. For one thing, some of the ingredients have an odor to them that can detract from the scent of your soap, and the other is like Candybee said--you can get a speckled look.

I posted a list once of popular additives for colorant. I'll see if I might be able to pull it back up.

I use fresh ground cinnamon and nutmeg in a few of my soaps. They look great in the soap as specks but do not color the soap. Customers tend to buy the textured look soaps a lot.

I also use herb tea mixes. Some teas can color your soap. Others will add texture as specks. And still others can make your soap look funny with specks that 'bleed' into the soap. You have to try out different teas to find the kind that doesn't bleed in spots on your soap.

The one I like and use a lot is the Chamomile and Honey from Celestial Gardens. I use about 1/4 tsp per lb. A little goes a long way. Too much and the tea starts to bleed in my soap. But the texture is nice and the chamomile is a great selling point.