Essential Oils

I am new to making candles. I was wanting to make a candle out of eucalyptus essential oil. I noticed that the flash point is 109f, which is really low. Does this mean that there will be some sort of ignition which will ruin it or does this mean that the scent will just leave quickly or both. i dont understand because i know you can make pure eucalyptus oil candles. Someone please explain this to me. thanks.

The 109 is the flash point, which is the lowest temperature of the EO that can ignite around a heat source (or could become combustible.) Once the EO is in an application, that flash point changes and is less likely to be combustible at that low of a temperature. Keep in mind that wax will combust at a high temperature, so to will anything in it. You can read more about flash points just about anywhere.

Edited by Scented

I think you'll find that most eucalyptus fragrance oils will contain some essential oil and may throw better than a pure eo. I have never had a problem with "burn off" pouring at 180 degree temps. In fact, eucalyptus can run you out of the room if its really a strong fo. I don't have enough experience with eos because I couldn't afford good quality oils.

Steve

Here's something from Genwax.

There can often be confusion when talking about the Flashpoint of a given candle additive. The best definition is: "Flashpoint" is the lowest temperature at which a flammable liquid gives off sufficient vapor to be able to ignite. However, this does not necessarily mean that the vapor will ignite. The concentration of scent in a candle is generally too low and dispersed to be ignitable.

In its raw liquid form, straight from the manufacturer, the Flashpoint that is given is that of the component with the lowest Flashpoint. This Flashpoint could actually be lower than normal room temperature, but the component does not "Flash" because of its interactions with other compounds in the mixture.

ok that makes sense, it just worried me because i haven't come across anything with that low of a flash point. I primarily want to use EO's because I am a massage therapist and i would like to eventually offer these candles for therapeutic benefits for my clients. But i want to completely know what I am doing before i start spending an exuberant amount on oils. well thanks for the explanation, now i wont be so paranoid when i start using EO's.

• 3 months later...
I am new to making candles. I was wanting to make a candle out of eucalyptus essential oil. I noticed that the flash point is 109f, which is really low. Does this mean that there will be some sort of ignition which will ruin it or does this mean that the scent will just leave quickly or both. i dont understand because i know you can make pure eucalyptus oil candles. Someone please explain this to me. thanks.

I know this is an old thread, but also wanted to bring up the point that, even though I am new to this site, there are some FO that have even lower Flashpoints. There is a wild cherry that I have that has an FP of 90!

Personally this scared the geez out of me as well, thus why I came here to make sure as well!

Thanks for all who gave information in regards to this! :yay: