Troubleshooting soy container candles

I poured some container candles yesterday using ecosoya cb135 and 25% ecosoya advanced blend. The candles look beautiful but the side of the jar look frosted? They are making the wax lighter than the top of the candle. Do I need to heat my jars? Thanks, Jeanne

I had the same problem with mine and I started heating them up. It really helped for me. Also where are you putting them to cure? That makes a big difference as well. Soy has to cool off really slowly. I put mine in the oven to cure for at least 12 hours. Or If I make them latter in the day I put them in the microwave. But there are lots of different ways you can cool slowly.

Hot soy wax + cold jars = side frosting.

I have also noted that on containers I do not prewash (to remove the manufacturing residue), the frosting appears in vertical streaks corresponding with the residue left behind. When I wash them in HOT water w/ Dawn or Parson's sudsy ammonia, this does not occur.

I would heed Stella's advice and wash the jars instead of heating them only. It's very good advice. Try that first and see if that doesn't help. You might also try letting your candles cool at a slower rate than they are cooling now and see if that helps too.

Mike

Edited by littlebrownbug

Cooling the candles in an oven sounds great but I have never tried it for this reason: how do you stop the wax from slopping around in the jar when you move it to the oven? Even if I were to put the jars on the oven shelf while I poured, wouldnt the wax slop when I slid the oven shelf in?

how do you stop the wax from slopping around in the jar when you move it to the oven
You do this carefully - that's how! :laugh2:

I put a cookie rack in the bottom of an old aluminum sheet cake pan (not the disposable kind). It is quite easy to put it in the oven without slopping. I don't pull the rack out - I just place the pan with the containers on the rack in the oven. When I have pulled the rack out, I do it carefully so I don't make a mess.

PS I also put a disposable oven liner in the bottom of the oven in case something goes wrong... earthquake, cat climbs up my leg as I am putting the pan in the oven, tree falls on house, etc.

Edited by Stella1952

PS I also put a disposable oven liner in the bottom of the oven in case something goes wrong... earthquake, cat climbs up my leg as I am putting the pan in the oven, tree falls on house, etc.

Thats a good one, :laugh2: Sounds like you have my kind of luck.:tiptoe:

Stella is right its not that big of a deal if you put your containers on a cookie sheet. And just put them in with ease. I usually heat them while i'm melting the wax, and adding all my fo, dye, ect to the wax. Then when I take them out to pour them I turn it off and pour the wax into the containers. Then just put them back in the oven. But what works for some won't for others. This works for me because I know they are cooling slowly plus they are out of the way. I don't really have the counter space to leave out and cover.

Edited by charmcandleco

You can also use a cardboard box to slow cooling. If you can get a hold of a copy paper box with the lid they work great. The lids can be used for soy votives and the bottom box is great for going over containers and soy pillars.

Cats, falling trees.....dont forget about husbands! I had a classic 'murphy's law' incident today. I had some jars that had wax left in them that I didnt want, so I melted them in the oven and then tipped the wax into an empty coke can and left it on the sink. Several minutes later, along comes hubby, picks up the can and thought he must have left some coke in it {he's the only one who drinks coke}. He tipped the remaining 'coke' down the sink.....WHAT THE H*LL IS THAT??...He got the shock of his life when red stuff started thickening around the sink hole.

Could have been worse I suppose......he might have taken a swig!!