Sockmonkey's FO from the classified...

nmhoneybear

I got 10 4 ozers from her (plus a freebie Christmas Cranberry :cheesy2:) and have been pouring votives all week. Just wanted to post my results thus far. These are the ones that I got:

Lavender & Vanilla ~ the best I have smelled yet

Buttermilk & Honey ~ probably my least favorite of the bunch, but ok

Red Sedona ~ awesome...reminds me of Bert's Redwood & Cedar

Powder Fresh ~ very nice baby powder scent

Sunshine ~ smells just like a bright, sunny day

Sweet Moon ~ beautiful, perfumey scent

Fabulous Fig ~ sweet, sweet yummy fig

Peppermint Sticks ~just like a candy cane

Lemon Chiffon ~ fabulous lemon scent; can even smell the crust

Almond & Shea ~ unique and beautiful scent

Christmas Cranberry ~ wonderful cranberry; gonna mix with the Peppermint Sticks to make Cranberry Peppermint like Lonestar's

First off, I have to say that these are some super potent FO's. They all smell awesome. I did notice that next time I should probably cut back to .75 oz per lb. I use 4794 wax and after unmolding them, there was already seepage on quite a few of them, especially the Buttermilk & Honey. I definitely know that I will use my 44-24-18 zinc wicks for these. Will post later how they burn. I like to let my votives cure for a week or two before I test burn.

May I ask what one has to do to be able to access the classifieds thread?

When I try to go there, it says there are no new posts in the last 100 days.

I am looking for a good lavender vanilla, so wanted to see if Sockmonkey still had any.

Thank you.

Looks like if you joined in August, you are almost there! :)

Welcome to the board!

May I ask what one has to do to be able to access the classifieds thread?

When I try to go there, it says there are no new posts in the last 100 days.

I am looking for a good lavender vanilla, so wanted to see if Sockmonkey still had any.

Thank you.

I did the same thing. Just had a desire to make candles and jumped in with both feet. I love making yummy smelling things! Be careful, though...you could end up being addicted to FO, like I am. :)

BTW...not sure if you have tried Candle Science yet for FO, but they are having a .99 sample sale now and have a Lavender Vanilla. I haven't tried it, but they have SO many other good ones. I am getting ready to place an order this weekend. There is another thread on the first page that lists other great ones to try.

(Hope the mods don't delete my post. We're not supposed to mention sales, I don't think.)

Edited by nmhoneybear

As a matter of fact, I'm waiting on UPS to deliver my CS order as we "speak." But I didn't order any Lavender Vanilla.

I saw it at Mr. Missy's site...but I've read so much stuff about him, I'm hesitant to order. What's weird is, I signed up on his site yesterday, then while I was gone, he called..or someone from Mr. Missy's. Didn't leave a message. I haven't even ordered yet, so why would he call me?

Don't know...that is weird. Maybe they are trying to drum up business...lol.

Personally, I wouldn't order from there. Seems like too many strange issues. I don't really care about how cheap the FO is. I don't sell and there are too many other places to get awesome FO from.

You said to be careful not to become addicted to FO....well your warning came too late, cause I already am. :)

So far I've ordered samples from Northstar, Peaks, and Heaven Scent. Oh, and Candlescience. So far, I love 3 from Peaks, Apple Pie, Amish Harvest, and Cappuccino Hazelnut.

BUT...now I have to decide whether to pay as much as $20 for 16 oz. of the FO I really love, or, for example, pay half as much at Heaven Scent for Cappuccino Hazelnut I like but don't love.

Or...just keep buying more and more samples, cause it's so fun to get them! What to do, what to do?

(You're the first one on here I've really had a "conversation" with, so sorry if I'm going on and on too much...I don't know anyone personally who makes candles.)

LOL It's ok. We can chat here until you are able to PM. I'll be happy to talk to you about candles and stuff. I totally love this forum and spend a lot of my time here. You are not quite an FO addict (FOHO lol) yet if you have only ordered from a few suppliers. :) Just wait! I have hundreds of FO from probably 20 or so suppliers. I seriously need a support group. But, hey, it is my hobby and I love to make candles, tarts, soap, etc. and mostly give stuff away to friends and family and anyone else I meet. If you like coffee scents, you need to get Roasted Coffee from KY. haha Sorry to be an enabler. :tiptoe:

Oh, but I just started ordering the first of August...I may well catch up to you soon.

I just got my Candlescience order...forgot I had ordered 16 samples...plus one free...so why have I been looking for more samples here, there and everywhere?

Oh, they all smell so GOOD!

Ooohhh!!! What did you get? I am going to order 30 tomorrow. Hope you got the Apple & Clover, Rain Water, Hansel & Gretel's House and Strudel & Spice...just to name a few of my faves. I want to hear all about what you got...lol...just in case you got a yuchy one that is on my list to order. :)

I have to go to my computer class tonight. It is a 4 hour and 20 minute class! Sometimes I get out early, though. I'll be on later tonight. TTYL

Well, I only got one you hoped I had...Hansel & Gretel's House. Love it...sweet gingerbread. I did a search of Candlescience on here and used some of the recommendations of others.

And none of them are yukky!! At least just to smell them in the bottle...what is that...OOB? I'm trying to decipher all the code words around here. :)

I got:

Cinnamon Stick - Cinnamon and more

Cinnamon Buns - thought I even smelled the icing on top

Pumpkin Souffle - more sweet & spicy...don't know about the pumpkin part yet

Cranberry Marmalade - Very Good - about took my breath away it was so strong.

Spiced Wassail - Don't know yet..can't smell the apple much

Mistletoe - Christmasy!

Jack Frost - Christmas and Mint

Holly Berry - Very nice!

Very Vanilla - Don't know yet...kind of like vanilla extract maybe

Amaretto Nog - Almonds...really like this one.

Buttercream - Not sure about this one yet..doesn't seem as strong smelling.

Vanilla Hazelnut - Yummy! Love this one.

Hazelnut - more coffee smell, also good

Rainwater - soothing (change of pace from all the food and beverage smells!)

I have been ordering a lot of beverage fragrances like the Wassail and Hazelnut, because I'm making teacup and mug candles. I've been advised on here not to use those, but so far, they're working out well. All my friends and family love them, and they can stand the heat, the cups that is. :)

I gave one to a friend, and her friend wants 3 candles for gifts. All she specified was vanilla fragrance and I could pick out the cups.

4 hour and 20 minute computer class??? Yikes!!

(Oh that doesn't total 17, because I got 2 Wassails and 2 Very Vanillas.)

Edited by GailC

one more thing...don't take my word on the above descriptions. I've never tried to describe candle fragrances much before. And smelling that many at once, some of the spicy ones blended together I think.

I do, however, know when I smell a FO I definitely DON'T like. I ordered Angel Wings from Northstar, my very first candle supply order. My granddaughter and I were musing about just what Angel Wings would smell like, and she said, "Heaven!" After I got the sample, we decided if that is what Heaven smells like, then maybe we don't want to go after all. :)

But my 12 year old grandson loved it, and wanted his candle made with it...the CT was awful and the HT was awful...but he liked it. A few people decided it smells like men's cologne.

On the other hand, I poured some Cappuccino Hazelnut from Peak's and wasn't that thrilled...until I smelled it burning at my friend's house. Smelled wonderful. So now I know you can't always tell until you actually burn the thing....except for the yukky Angel Wings. (Sorry to anyone who loves it...but I don't think many order from Northstar.)

Nope...I have never ordered from Northstar. But I have ordered from just about everywhere else.

Don't you just love that Rain Water? Just wait until you pour it! And then burn it! It is an extraordinary scent. I have got to get my order in before Sunday. I need more FO like I need a hole in my head, but I love it so much! And at .99 for an ounce, it is so worth it. Since I don't sell, I appreciated just having an ounce to test. I love to make votives mostly. What exactly do you make?

You know, an Angel Wings from one supplier can smell totally different than an Angel Wings from another...especially with a scent like that.

I have tried most of the ones that you have ordered from CandleScience, except the Very Vanilla and Cinnamon Stick. Glad to see you got the Cranberry Marmalade and Pumpkin Souffle. Those two are like the hottest thing since sliced bread. lol I am getting more of those, and some of the different ones like Himalayan Bamboo, Sage & Pomegranate (which I hear is awesome), Green Tea & Lemongrass (got a tart in a swap last month- OH! Just wait til you start getting into swaps!!!), White Tea & Berries (also got a tart from same swap), Vanilla Cedarwood, and Fig Tree. I already tried Fig Forest and absolutely love that one. It is different than their Mediterranean Fig. Almost wish I could get a sample of every single one they have! Except, I am not much of a floral person.

Where do you get the tea cup from that you make candles in? That sounds like a neat idea, but, yeah, you would pretty much have to put coffee or tea scents in there. There is a supplier...Candle Cocoon...that has very unique scents. They are just superb! There is a Masala Chai and a Pumpkin Coffee that are both just TO DIE FOR! And Sultry Angel is probably one of the most beautiful perfumey scents out there.

Edited by nmhoneybear

Nope...I have never ordered from Northstar. But I have ordered from just about everywhere else.

Don't you just love that Rain Water? Just wait until you pour it! And then burn it! It is an extraordinary scent. I have got to get my order in before Sunday. I need more FO like I need a hole in my head, but I love it so much! (edited) Since I don't sell, I appreciated just having an ounce to test. I love to make votives mostly. What exactly do you make?[/quote]

Yes, I'm glad I chose the Rain Water...so different than the rest

If you want to see what I make, you can click on this link....

http://awateringcan.wordpress.com/gails-new-lights-in-old-cups/

Edited by Scented

Those are so cute! What a neat idea! So do you sell them, or mostly just give them away? I have been making candles for nearly 3 years and haven't really sold any because I haven't purchased the insurance for selling. Not sure I will now that I am in school full-time now. You just started making these last month? Very nice! :)

Thank you! :)

So far I mostly give them away. I'm making them for Christmas gifts too, of course.

An aquaintance saw pictures of my candles on facebook, and liked them. She asked me if I wanted to be in her church's craft show. I didn't even think about insurance though. I haven't ever been in a craft show except once at my daughter's school over 20 years ago.

Yeah, it gets tricky if you start selling candles to the public and don't have insurance. If they burn their house down and it is determined that a candle was the source, their insurance company will come after you. :sad2:

I have come close to getting the insurance, but just not sure I would sell enough. And especially now that I am back in school, I really don't know.