Adding milk at trace?

PurpleHippie

I am feeling a bit adventurous and want to try making some coconut milk soap for the first time. Most of the recipes I have read use frozen or partially frozen milk as either a portion or total for the water. Recently I came across one recipe that added the milk at trace. No reason was given for this. I am assuming it helped keep the milk from scalding like it can when mixed with lye. Has anyone made soap adding milk at trace?

I add milks with my oils instead of with my lye because it's less fuss and muss for me. The method of freezing the milk and adding the lye slowly in the hopes it won't scald, etc...was just too much of a stress inducing hassle for me. Once I saw how much easier adding the milk to the oils was and how it still gave me excellent results, as well as light, creamy colored milk soaps, I've never looked back.

First, I mix my lye with the minimum amount of water required for the lye to properly dissolve, and then I add the rest of my liquid amount as goat milk or coconut milk directly to my oils, stickblending the milk in either before adding my lye water to the oils, or just after when things are emulsified but not to trace yet. Doing it this way is easy peasy and so much less stressful for me.

MarieJeanette :)

Edited to add that when I want to make a 100% milk soap, I add enough goat milk powder or coconut milk powder to my milk portion in order to bring the milk concentration up to 100% for my entire liquid amount.

Edited by MarieJeanette

I use canned coconut milk (Grace brand), or the kind you can find on the grocery shelves in cartons, but not refrigerated (Aroyo brand). Both act the same in soap. I can't recall ever seeing refigerated cartons of coconut milk, though. I can buy refrigerated Goat Milk in cartons, but not coconut milk.

• 2 weeks later...
I add milks with my oils instead of with my lye because it's less fuss and muss for me. The method of freezing the milk and adding the lye slowly in the hopes it won't scald, etc...was just too much of a stress inducing hassle for me. Once I saw how much easier adding the milk to the oils was and how it still gave me excellent results, as well as light, creamy colored milk soaps, I've never looked back.

First, I mix my lye with the minimum amount of water required for the lye to properly dissolve, and then I add the rest of my liquid amount as goat milk or coconut milk directly to my oils, stickblending the milk in either before adding my lye water to the oils, or just after when things are emulsified but not to trace yet. Doing it this way is easy peasy and so much less stressful for me.

Edited to add that when I want to make a 100% milk soap, I add enough goat milk powder or coconut milk powder to my milk portion in order to bring the milk concentration up to 100% for my entire liquid amount.

Hello, I am new to soap making.

MarieJeanette you said:

[First, I mix my lye with the minimum amount of water required for the lye to properly dissolve]

Now, do you discount the ounces from the milk to give to the lye water? or you just use the right amount of milk, and just add additional water to the lye?

Do you understand what I am asking?

Thank you

Let's say your recipe required 40 ounces of liquid and 10 ounces of lye. I would take 10 ounces of water to mix with 10 oz of lye, then make up the balance of the liquid (30 oz) with milk. I don't wait for trace to add it, I add it when the lye mixture and the oils are emulsified.