HP in a toaster/convection oven??

dogmom1

hi!

has anyone ever done this? i read a post where someone said she put the mold on a heating pad, and i'm pretty sure the heat control on that doesn't have degrees, but i could be wrong. some of the toaster/convection ovens and rotisseries out there today are pretty big and complex, definitely a far cry fro the original toaster ovens.

our oven is broken and even when they fix it, it doesn't last. i'm sure eventually they'll install a new one, but in the meantime.....

i make small batches, still pretty new to CP and CPHP, but i'd love to try HP.

anyone??

thanks!

ei

I guess you could get away with it with very small batches. You'd need to find a stainless steel, pyrex container, or perhaps even a silicon bowl that would fit it. You'd also have to be able to set it very low. My toaster oven has a setting for 150 degrees.

But why wouldn't you just go buy a crockpot? You can get a 4 or 5 quart at Wally-Mart for around $20. I got my big 7-quart on sale at JC Pennys for $19.99. Check your sales fliers or try your local Goodwill or Salvation Army. You may be able to find a used one on the cheap. Just make sure there are no cracks in the ceramic.

The thing that would worry me about using a toaster oven is if the soap bubbles over. I don't think it would be easy to clean up and it may even ruin your oven. I don't think you'd be able to make toast in it again without it tasting like soap.

If you're going to go the Crock Pot route, make sure it's not one of those old metal ones. I did that, there was a small scratch in the finish on the metal and well, after a few batches the lye ate a hole through it...big mess, big freak out... UGH!

I've been able to make effective use of roaster (not toaster) ovens of the sort that have the lid on top as well as convections ovens, but not for hot process. For HP I would think you'd be better off with more direct access to your material so you can work with it easily, as well as more direct heat.

I think those ovens are most useful for simply adding warmth to CP in the mold. Some call it CPOP. Roaster ovens of the size I'm familiar with can handle test batches or small personal batches (like in a short log mold). Convection ovens can potentially handle a more substantial batch, but you need a serious one. Most stand-alone convection ovens aren't very big and can be particularly limited in depth (back to front).

I've been able to make effective use of roaster (not toaster) ovens of the sort that have the lid on top as well as convections ovens, but not for hot process. For HP I would think you'd be better off with more direct access to your material so you can work with it easily, as well as more direct heat.

I think those ovens are most useful for simply adding warmth to CP in the mold. Some call it CPOP. Roaster ovens of the size I'm familiar with can handle test batches or small personal batches (like in a short log mold). Convection ovens can potentially handle a more substantial batch, but you need a serious one. Most stand-alone convection ovens aren't very big and can be particularly limited in depth (back to front).

top, this is so funny. after i posted this, i realized i had put HP in the subject instead of CPOP, which is what i meant! it was too late to edit it, so i put out another post explaining, i guess no one saw it. but you still answered the question perfectly!

thanks!

Edited by dogmom1
fix a typo

jacquio and starr, i have a crock pot, actually two, just got a 2 qt for small batches, already had a 4 qt. the confusion was my fault, i meant to put CPOP in the title of the post.

i've made a couple batches in the small one, they came out very nice.

thanks to you both for answering poor confused (and confusing) me! :laugh2:

ei

Edited by dogmom1
typo