Hi, newbie using GB 464

So, I've been using 464 in 8oz jelly jars, Eco 8 wicks and using 12% fo.

I know the 12 % seems like a lot but I wanted to get the strongest fragrance possible.

Well, needless to say I have run into problems.

I don't seem to have much of a hot throw.

Should I wick up? OR should I use less fo.

How much should I cut down to? TIA!

Hi, I use eco 10 wicks in 8 oz jj w/ 464. I usually do 1.4 to 1.5 oz of fo, I think some I can use a little less, but here lately I have just been doing the 1.5. I started out doing all of them at 1.6, but I was going through too much oil and it isnt cheap, so I cut back and still have great ht! I put a post on here at one time for the 464 making note of which oils did great in this wax and who the supplier was and the amt of fo added. I have to update that, b/c I have done some more testing. Hope this helps:)

So, I've been using 464 in 8oz jelly jars, Eco 8 wicks and using 12% fo.

I know the 12 % seems like a lot but I wanted to get the strongest fragrance possible.

Well, needless to say I have run into problems.

I don't seem to have much of a hot throw.

Should I wick up? OR should I use less fo.

How much should I cut down to? TIA!

I use the 464, I generally use 6-8%, 8% being my max. I am still testing and have done many tests with this wax. I tried it with 10% and the FO sweated like crazy out of the top, and I found, IMO that the HT was worse. I find it easiest to take one problem out of the equation at a time...less hair pulling in the end. Good Luck with your testing!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought 464 from CS to try because it had a FO load of 12%, so I thought this would be good (like cooking, more sugar means sweeter). This doesn't seem to be the case. So, can someone tell me why more FO isn't stronger? Is it something to do with the quality of the burn? I used 464 w/ 12%FO and 3% coconut oil and poured in 8 oz mason jar with ECO 8. It has a wonderful CT before 1st burn, but HT throw isn't there. So if I pour a lower FO% will I get more HT? I was thinking about ECO 10. How fast should I get a 1/2" deep wax pool on a 3" diam?

I recently bought 464...to try because it had a FO load of 12%
Personally, I do not want a wax that will not have a decent HT with 5%-6% - it's money up in smoke, IMHO.
How fast should I get a 1/2" deep wax pool on a 3" diam?
Container candles should be wicked for the last half of the jar, when the heat is greatest; therefore, getting a FMP on the 2nd or even 3rd test burn period (1 hour of burn per inch of diameter) is fine. There is no race for FMP. Some folks think they need a FMP really quickly for the candle to throw, but I assure you that a candle whose wicking is dialed in with its ingredients & container will throw very well almost as soon as it is lit.

I can't comment on your wicking because I do not use those wicks and am not familiar with their sizes. There is a lot of information about 464 in the thread below...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788279#post788279

Using the search tool will find even more... my best suggestion is for you to read, read, read - there's a LOT of info in the threads here! HTH :D

My bag of 464 is almost empty, will be ordering soon. Can I get a good HT at 6%FO with 464 after I test test test? If not, would you have other wax suggestions for me to test with that can get great HT with 6%FO. I like the idea of a soy candle (we are farmers), but a quality product is more important.

The site search tool isn't much, but there is a Google tool that works very well... I stole this quote on how to use it from http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802

Google Site Search:

You can also use Google to help you search the entire site. Just go to Google's Homepage and type in the word "site" followed by a colon. ex - SEARCH WORDS site: candletech.com

So if I wanted to look for pillars I would type into the Google serch bar: pillars site:candletech.com (click on the search term to see the results).

To answer your question about testing, here's what I do:

First, I record the basic data about the candle - the date I poured it, what wax, what additives, dyes, how much FO, the wick & size, the container, etc. (I already have a card made for the batch of wax it was poured from with the pouring data - date, room temp, humidity, melt temp, temp FO was added, pour temp, how long I did what and when, etc. This way, if I mess up and do something RIGHT, I can replicate my success! :yay:). I use index cards for data. Other folks use a notebook - whatever works for you!

After the candle has cured, place it in a draft-free location in a normal sized room.

Weigh the candle before you start and record that.

Trim the wick to about 1/4" and light.

Allow the candle to burn for 1 hour per inch of candle diameter. Keep the wick (melt pool) centered by turning the candle.

Record the height of the flame on the wick.

Extinguish the wick (by dipping).

Record the weight of the candle again. Subtract it from the original weight, divide that by the number of hours you burned the candle and you have the hourly rate of consumption (RoC).

Record the diameter of the melt pool and its depth.

Make any other notes, such as hangup on inside of container, flickering or dancing flame, excessive mushroom on wick, excessive container temperature, hot throw (I rate 1-5 for simplicity).

Allow the candle to COMPLETELY cool, trim the wick and repeat. Burn the candle all the way to the end unless the wick completely drowns out (in which case ya couldn't burn it any more if you wanted to) or the flame becomes dangerously tall and hot.

Keeping good notes from the start becomes a godsend because sometimes the smallest things can make all the difference in whether a candle works out well or doesn't. You cannot depend on your memory for every little detail of the process, especially when you start pouring more and more... testing more and more... etc. HTH :D

So I will have 2 burns

Not likely. You burn the candle for EACH test period 1 hour per inch of diameter. For the size jar you are using, this will take several repetitions. When I said "repeat," I should have said, "repeat procedure as many times as is necessary for the candle to be consumed."

Can I get a good HT at 6%FO with 464 after I test test test? If not, would you have other wax suggestions for me to test with that can get great HT with 6%FO.

I do not use 464 so I do not know whether 6% works for it or not. I DO know that NatureWax C3 (the wax I use) has a great throw with 6% FO.

Do you just eyeball the flame or are you putting a ruler on it?

Personally, I eyeball it because my eyeball is pretty accurate. If your eyeball isn't real accurate, hold a ruler near the flame to measure the height. Good luck! :)