1 oz. metal tart molds?

Debbie73

Are all of the metal tart molds supposed to be 1 oz? I bought some from Candle Science and have made a few, but they are only weighing .74 oz. I am using feather palm wax, don't know that this would make any difference or not. :confused: :confused:

I have found that the "standard size" tart molds most people sell are marked approx 1 oz but it is approx 3/4 oz weight when I'm done with them. I fill them to the very top of the rim too.

One thing I have not yet investigated is if "approx 1 oz" is fluid rather than weight. Because even with shrinkage, I think 1 weighted ounce is still 1 weighted ounce. I know with the gel I used a few years ago 1 pound of gel by weight was 20 fluid ounces.

CS's look like the smaller molds to me...I get my tart molds from The Candle Source (I buy them by the 100's, so they're only .39 cents a piece). My finished tarts usually weigh at least 1.1 ozs when they're filled to the top. You can usually tell by looking at the circle in the bottom of the molds. A quarter would fit into the circle in the bottom of the true 1 oz. molds.

http://thecandlesource.com/catalog/i485.html

I fill tart molds to the meniscus - ie. the bulge on top right before it overflows.

Because different people fill to slightly different places, there can be some fudge room between the capacity a supplier says a mold holds and your actual results. They may also be talking about VOLUME measure when you are weighing... Most mold capacities are expressed in volume rather than weight of the contents because that can vary depending on the wax used, etc.

Also, your scale could be off - weigh something that you KNOW is exactly one ounce and see. :)

Donna, I believe you are right about the molds. It looks to me like the The Candle Source and Cajun Candles use the same molds. Peaks, Candle Science and there were several others that use another type of tart mold. At first glance, they all look the same, but if you look closely, the bottoms of those from Candle Science and those from The Candle Source are different.

The ones from Candle Science were more expensive than what you paid, about .55, but I have seen the same molds as high as .68.

I just assumed that all of the tart molds were the same. I am kind of bummed out because I bought 50 of them from CS. :angry2:

I fill tart molds to the meniscus - ie. the bulge on top right before it overflows.

Because different people fill to slightly different places, there can be some fudge room between the capacity a supplier says a mold holds and your actual results. They may also be talking about VOLUME measure when you are weighing... Most mold capacities are expressed in volume rather than weight of the contents because that can vary depending on the wax used, etc.

Also, your scale could be off - weigh something that you KNOW is exactly one ounce and see. :)

Stella, I'm sorry I did not see your post, we were responding at the same time! I wondered if it was a difference in waxes, too. I will try and find something that weighs an ounce and check the scale for accuracy.