amount of FO in 8oz jars

3lephant1

Hi,

I just started using fragrance in my containers. What is the approximate

measurement of FO in an 8oz jar. I'm using 50/50 paraffin/beeswax and vibrant from Swans. I added 1/2 t. FO and stirred it in till the wax cooled a bit. It poured and set very well the flame was good. Later checked the room and there was no scent at all.

No offense, candle nutz, but I think that you are using a bit too much oil. A good quality oil should provide a good hot throw with 1 oz. per pound. I have bumped up to 1.2 oz per pound on just a couple, but usually one ounce will do. Sometimes using too much fragrance can actually weaken the throw and makes the candle hard to wick. Don't waste your money using so much oil. JMO-Hope that helps. Also, some fragrances just do not do well in some waxes. If it doesn't have a great hot throw with 1 oz. I would try a new oil. Measure on the scale and keep good notes. You may also want to let the candle "cure" for a couple of days before testing. Most will not throw right away. I have never used beeswax so I am not sure of a cure time for that.

I will try cutting back some and see if i still get great throw.

This is not a situation of "more's better." There are many components of candles which govern excellent hot & cold throw besides the amount of FO - additives, type of wax, the actual FO itself, the wicking, they shape of the container, etc. In general, the less FO one has to use to achieve a good throw, the better. This is why testing is so very important. People work hard to refine their products so that the FOs they use work most effieicntly with their particular wax combo, wicks and containers. HTH :)