Rusty tin candles

Hi there, another question if I may.

As we are now supplying a shop locally that pretty much stocks and sells everything prim, funnily enough the shop is called "Primitive At Heart" and is quite busy, obviously with people who actually know what "prim" is down here, we are looking at doing a line in rusty tin cans.

I have researched how to prim / grubby a tin and that works very well, however what do you do with the inside of the tin. The outside looks great, but the inside is still nice and shiny silver coloured which kind of clashes with the nice prim / grubby outside.

We are using PVA glue loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, ground coffee, ground cloves etc to brush on and prim the outside of the tin, but I imagine that this stuff should not go inside the tin. Its actually similar to mod podge from what I can gather and as we cant get all of the stuff that you guys get we have to be creative and make do.

So if anyone who does these or has done those in the past can advise I would be so grateful.

Regards

Richard

Hi,

I have made the rusty can candles for about 2 years now. I pretty much do the outside just like you said. I have 3 wholesale accts. that do really good with them. I don't do anything to the inside and nobody has ever said anything bout them not looking good. I am very much into the prim thing and I don't mind it either, don't think it looks bad, I love them!! Just my 2 cents worth!!:) Have a great day!

HuGs

Michele

Hi there.

(Richards wife here)

The problem is moreso the little ridge inside the very top of the tin. We are using tins with the ring pull tops.

This ridge, although not razor sharp, is still sharp enough in our opinion to be not acceptable for people sticking their hand in to light the wick as it burns down.

We've used pliers to flatten the rim, but it looks untidy.

Only other option is to find these so called tin openers that don't leave a sharp edge.

Do they really not? I don't see how that's possible?

Tracy

Oh, I don't use those kinda cans, I use like a veggie can, not the ones that have that pull off lid, they don't work good. I don't put handle on them, seems like extra work and I figure I have enough time into them. I have a bunch of pictures of them but have no clue how to post on here. I don't do anything fancy on them cause I think it takes away from the primitive look I'm going for. HTH!

Hugs

Michele

Hi Deb, I'm sure we have something we could used to grind it back. My dad said to me he has some sort of attachment for his drill for sanding things that might work so we'll give that a try and see how it goes.

The edge on the little rim of the ring top tins is really not THAT sharp.....we're debating what to do as most of the cans we use are ring pull tops.

Sharon......we have an electric can opener at the moment (I think we've tried just about every tin opener known to man as we have a lot of pets and it's supposed to be one of the chores the kids are supposed to help with!) but so far none of them have ever opened a tin to the point where I could say it's totally safe to use for "this" purpose.

Maybe you guys have better tin openers than us here? lol!

Maybe we just haven't found the right one yet too?

Tracy

I use a hand held can opener by Kuhn Rikon. I got it at T. J. Maxx. It has a different cutting mechanism than a standard can opener. It will cut the top off and leave a smooth edge. You wont have to worry about someone getting cut on a sharp edge with this type of hand held can opener.

Oxo makes a hand held model that will leave a smooth edge. I have seen them at T. J. Maxx, Target and Bed Bath & Beyond.

I could get you one and ship it. If it's not that hard to do. PM me and let me know what has to be done with shipping to you guys.

Just found this site, looks like it's what your looking for. Let me know if it works..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KUHN-RIKON-Safety-Can-Opener-Swiss-Design-Kitchen-Tool_W0QQitemZ260322936751QQcategoryZ20641QQcmdZViewItem

I just wanted to add....this information about my Kuhn Rikon can opener.

If you use cans that have the pop top lid this model can be used after they are opened to get a smooth top. I forgot to put that in my above reply. This can opener takes off the 1/8" area on the top that is left after the can if popped open. The can will be just perfect for Rusty tin candles!

Sorry if this seems a bit confusing the way I explained/typed.....Hope you all know what I mean.