newbie dumb questions/concerns

Hi everyone,

after years of wanting to I finally bought some wax and started pouring candles.

went with soy, cb advanced.....and this is where the questions start.....I don't think I did enough homework and I burned one candle after like 15 hours and got no hot throw...my wick may be a tad large for my candle, (meltpool was a little bigger, faster) but I am afraid that I have made a huge mistake buying 10lbs of this wax. Scent is more important than looks for me.

so do I cure them and hope for the best or do I scrap this wax and get some other soy???

I used 1 oz per pound of fragrance oil and and eco 8 wick (which burns really nice!)

and I heat mix and pour to eco soy's directions....155 dye, then 125 oil stir till I see no more swirlies, and pour afterwards, into 4 oz jelly jars (dia-approx 2.5)

HELP!

mindy

Let me get this streight... did you start burning your candle 15 hours after you poured it or did you burn it for 15 hours streight the first time? The minimum cure time after pouring a candle for this wax is 48 hours before you light it for the first time. I wait a week before lighting my candles the first time. If it was buring for 15 hours, you burned it too long... you should be burning the candle 1 hour for every inch in diamater. Sounds like to me you jumped the gun a little and don't give up on it just yet. Pour a new one, let it cure and try again. It could just be your scent too. Some scents just are not good in soy all together, others are good in one kind but not another.

I don't use Ecosoya advanced, but I did test it. Ecosoya Advanced is more used for appearance than HT. I was never impressed with the HT, but that doesn't mean that you will be. Go to Ecosoya's website and you will find a lot of information about suggestions and what to do with thier wax. http://www.ngiwax.com/cb-instructions

Keep on trucking... candle making at times is very frustering and stressful. HOwever, once you get a good candle, the frusterations are soooo rewarding.

thank you!!

and yup I did jump the gun, just a little :embarasse I actually poured 6-4oz candles from one lb. so I have more to try. I burned it after 15 hours, cause yeah, I was excited.

can you recommend a good soy wax for scent throw?? appearance I can fix or ignore...scent is where its at for me!

thanks again for your reply

Some waxes def. have their faults..pro's cons... whatever you want to call it. I wouldnt give up on a wax after the first try.....

What oils did you use, and from where?

Also, a lot of people use the wax that is closest to them , for shipping costs... cause shipping can really get in the way, or it can even be more than the wax itself.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.

Jessica

thanks jess,

I truly love it so I will try and work it out! as for the oils I got them from bittercreek, same spot I got the wax....I think candlescience is closer to me, but I had done business with bc before.

the cold throw is ok so far, I need to test burn one maybe tomorrow so that I have an idea if the hot throw improves with curing....waiting is soo hard for me!!:meditate:

I don't know if I should pour anymore, until I have the chance to burn one...

hmmm??

thanks to you all for the help!!

I have had major frosting with colors. I now switched to colorless candles and that is better for me, but still see the frosting occasionally. I also pour cooler and that does seem to help. Its a playing game, try something... write down what you did and see what happens. I now mostly get the frosting after I start burning the candle where it shows up in the recooled wax. I just tend to ignore that, but that is just me.

Like the other poster said, keep giving advanced a try. You may be able to get it to workout and get the throw you want. Don't give up after the first candle. I poured and tested many before deciding that I didn't like the advance.

6-4oz candles from one lb

Wait a minute... 16 oz in a pound, 4 goes into 16 4 times - your candles couldn't have been 4 oz. each, even adding 1 oz of FO!!! Are you WEIGHING all these measurements or mixing volume measurement with weight? :confused:

10 lbs is not a lot with which to test... if you'd bought a case, you might have reason to feel scared... Have you teids NatureWax C3 (is it available near you)?

Mindy, my best suggestion for you before pouring more is to use the search feature here at CT and read, read, read. You will learn that "frosting" is a characteristic of soy wax and how it occurs and what you can do to minimize it. People use all kinds of wicks and everyone has their favorites. Mine is CDN wicks. I use CDs in smaller candles. They work VERY well for veggie waxes.

When you DO pour again, get out a notebook and take GOOD NOTES on everything you do. WEIGH your ingredients (no measuring cups - those are for volume). Note the procedure you use to melt your wax - what temp you melted the wax to; what temp you added what kind (fragrance name & supplier) and amount of FO; what temp you poured, etc. Did you use any addites or dye? At what temp did you add these and what amount, etc. ALL of these things factor into making a good candle. Let your candles cure for at least 48 hours - I prefer to let mine set fup or a week before testing or selling.

Get organized and try again - you'll get there! Making nice candles is more than just wax and a wick, so be prepared to do your homework, lots of testing and recordkeeping so you can learn what works for you and what doesn't. HTH :)

thank you stella,

I did measure each item, by weighing, but I didn't fill my jars up all the way, so perhaps they are not quite 4oz....? who knows.

I haven't tried any others, but I am glad to know that you wait a week. I guess now I need to wait and test the ones I have already poured.

thank you so much for taking the time to give me all your helpful hints and pointers, you guys are awesome!!

c-3 you say?? I will go check it out!

thanks again,

mindy:yay:

I didn't fill my jars up all the way, so perhaps they are not quite 4oz....? who knows.

A container listed as 4 oz. generally refers to liquid measure - volume. To ascertain how much weighed product (net weight) is in a container, weigh an empty container, tare; then weigh the container with candle (with the weight of the container tared out). OR, if you don't have a tare feature on your scale, write down the weight of the empty container; then weigh the container with the candle & subtract the empty weight from the filled weight. The difference is the actual weight of the candle.