Zinc wicks...help!

I was wondering if those of you who conduct powerburn tests with zinc wicks in your container candles could share some of your results with regards to the amount of mushrooming, and condition of the wick? Since zincs don't self-trim, I've found that I have HORRID mushrooming after 12 hours and the wick is like 3/4" long. Have any of you had similar results and if so, when you go to relight the candle, do you pick off the huge shrooms and/or trim the wick back down from such a tall length?

TIA!

Ryan

Pretty much any wick is going to mushroom after a 12 hour power burn.....

As well, no matter which wick or wax, you should always been making sure that the wick is trimmed to about 1 1/4 inch or so prior to burning or relighting. General candle burning rule of thumb.....

Invest in a good wick trimmer, or in a oinch the LARGE nail clippers work well too......

Pretty much any wick is going to mushroom after a 12 hour power burn.....

As well, no matter which wick or wax, you should always been making sure that the wick is trimmed to about 1 1/4 inch or so prior to burning or relighting.

I can power burn my jars with LX wicks and get minimal to no mushrooms burning it 9+ hours. Zinc & hemp (may be other types also) will always mushroom because they have a rigid core. Depending on how long they burn, how large your mushroom will be.

I trim all my wicks 1/8" to 1/4" depending on they type of candle. Yes you should be trimming down each time you relight your candle.

Thanks Jen & Chris!! :cheesy2:

So just to clarify, you are trimming your wicks specifically between powerburns? On controlled test burns I always trim the wick between burns but it's my understanding that between power burns one doesn't trim the wick.

That was supposed to say 1/4 ..lol I should proof read.

I get miminal mushrooming as well...but I was just saying on a 12 hour power burn..that there would be.....

I always trim my wick before relighting, whether power burning or not. And although they are kind of unsightly, if you have no soot and the candle has a nice burn and throw, sometimes you just have to live with the dreaded 'shroom.

That was supposed to say 1/4 ..lol I should proof read.

I get miminal mushrooming as well...but I was just saying on a 12 hour power burn..that there would be.....

I always trim my wick before relighting, whether power burning or not. And although they are kind of unsightly, if you have no soot and the candle has a nice burn and throw, sometimes you just have to live with the dreaded 'shroom.

Thanks much for the feedback! With regards to blowing out, trimming, and relighting, my only concern is that the general customer wouldn't have the presence of mind to do that. Has that been an issue with any of your customers?

That is why it is very important to educate your customers on the proper way to burn which ever type of candle it is they buy. Even though most of this info is on the caution label or product label, most people don't take the time to read it.

If they are educated, they will get a better burn, which increases your chances of a repeat customer.......

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks much for the feedback! With regards to blowing out, trimming, and relighting, my only concern is that the general customer wouldn't have the presence of mind to do that. Has that been an issue with any of your customers?

Zincs are the only wick I use, I tell all of my customers to trim their wick, and let the candle get a full melt before blowing the flame out. Nobody seems to mind, because they keep buying over and over. I tell them if they take care of the wick, their candle will burn and last longer than if they let it go.