stearic acid substitue

DREWSMOM

Hi,

I'm out of stearic acid for lotion and I don't need to place an order right now. Is there a substitue that I can use with similar results? They have stearine at the craft store, but this is used in candles, not lotion right? Is is the same thing? I tried to look it up online with no luck.

I thought about cornstarch to thicken it, but will that work as well?

Thanks,

Strange to see this! :cheesy2: I just got through making some lotion from a base but added lots of stuff. It was sorta thin so I decided to try cornstarch. I added 1/4 tsp to 8 oz lotion. Don't know how it is going to work yet.

You can up the ewax or BTMS a bit to thicken it up. If you are already at a high percentage where adding more would make it draggy, you can buy xanthan gum from a health food store- it is an awesome thickener for lotions and butters and has a nice feel. In my opinion, cornstarch makes it feel too "chalky".

The cornstarch did seem to thicken it up some and I don't think it felt chalky either. Actually all the stuff in just the basic lotion base feels pretty good. Think I have finally got it where I want it :smiley2:

I tried it last night with a little cornstarch, about 1 TB for 60 ozs of liquid and it sort of worked. It's an ok consistency for hand lotion, but not very thick like I usually like it.

I think I'll try the xanthan gum later... I do imports for a living and we actually have a client that brings xanthan gum in...