Hi everyone,

Sorry for having so many questions:embarasse

I'm going to try a no palm recipe. I found one in Alicia Grosso's book

with

Olive 64%

Coconut 31%

Castor 5%

Doesn't 31% coco dry skin?

I don't have a lot of choice of solid oils. Do you have any ideas about this recipe? should I change it and lower the coco to eg.20%?

The only time I use a high percentage of CO is when I'm making salt bars or if I do a coconut oil soap with an extremely high SF percentage.

Go to the grocery store and get some lard to sub in for PO. Take the amount down for the CO and you can take the amount down for the OO and add in the lard. That high amount of OO in a soap will require a longer cure time -but OO soaps will be get very hard with the proper cure but the lather can be somewhat slimey. Some folks don't care for that but it doesn't bother me. The lard will help add hardness to the bar and will keep some coditioning qualities as well.

Be sure to run your numbers.

If you're worried about drying effects, you can also up the superfat a bit to mitigate any drying effects.

My hands are the only dry skin on me, and they respond really well to higher superfats. Of course, a touch of lotion does better yet! :)

I find most people that have a problem with coconut oil heavy soaps tend to have reactions to coconut oil in soaps period, or have very sensitive skin. My mother in law is like that, if it has ANY coconut oil in it, she reacts.

But your recipe seems fine, you have a high percentage of soft oils, so it should be good.