trace too fast

venus78

Hi everyone,

I just made a batch of kitchen coffee and when I poured the lye into the oils it started thickening in less than 30 seconds! I'm always very careful with the measuring and I don't think it was lye heavy.

I poured the lye into the oils very slow (I have no idea why!) and after I started stirring with the blender it thickened so fast! :confused:

I used:

almond 5%

castor 5%

coconut 20%

palm 30%

olive 40%

sf 5%

the only difference in this batch from my previous batches was that I used unrefined olive oil which was a little thick and green.

any idea of what could have gone wrong?

Thanks a lot

Hi Meridith, Thanks for your message. I soaped at 120F. I was trying to solve white streaks in my soaps therefore my batch was 0.5ld, I'd read somewhere if your batch is small you should mix the lye and the oils a little bit warmer.

I unmolded today, the ash on the top is gone, but it has white streaks in it again! I have no idea what to do. I made sure the palm is completely melted.

This one has white streaks exactly like the picture you posted. What did you do to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

You probably soaped too hot. Try soaping when your oils and butters are cool - like around 90-100.

Before melting your palm, make sure to stir it really good. It's hard to get it all stirred when you have a large container of it. That's why I now buy the no stir from Columbus.

I get it now. my palm is liquid on the top and thick at the bottom. I didn't know that because the container isn't see through. when making my last 4 batches I found it out because the palm was almost finished in the container and I saw that it was thick at the bottom. I'll make sure to stir it well before using it. Thank you so much Meridith for your great help :)