best dyes/colorants for swirling???

dogmom1

i need help! opinions please on what you like for swirling and who carries it. i just can't decide so i still have NO colors for my soap. all various shades of white, light tan so far. i only have candle color chips and i know they're no good for CP.

since i want to swirl (i guess everyone tries) i'd like to get colors that work well for swirling as well as for regular coloring. i've read and read and can't decide.

and i'm not doing much better with fragrances, but i do have a few of those picked out at least!! :laugh2:

TIA!

I like both of those places, but I don't honestly know that you get one thing from one place (liquids or powders) ... at least I'm still going through places trying to find something that will work for me to get certain colors.

hi meridith. i do like the TKB pop colors. the fact that it's mica is a bit intimidating, but the colors are delicious.

april, the select shades are intriguing, i started reading about mixing shades and it sure looks like i can get some beautiful colors with them.

scented, i'm sure you're right, i'll be searching for a while, and i know i won't get everything i want from one place. i just want to get started with something fairly "friendly".

decisions, decisions......

thanx to all!

dogmom - don't let the TKB POPs intimidate you. They are very easy to work with and the colors almost always come out great. I also use Select Shades and love them!! I'm about ready to order my 3rd set. I have many different colorants but I my favs and my tried and trues are my POP colorants and my Select Shades.

dogmom - don't let the TKB POPs intimidate you. They are very easy to work with and the colors almost always come out great. I also use Select Shades and love them!! I'm about ready to order my 3rd set. I have many different colorants but I my favs and my tried and trues are my POP colorants and my Select Shades.

thanx for the encouragement meridith! i've spent a lot of money this last year and i'm so afraid of ruining something. the "failure" doesn't hurt my psyche, the wasted money does! so far i've been a terrible chicken with the soaps and FOs. of course a color disaster won't hurt the soap, so that's a good thing. they can look ugly and still be amazing to use. SOS is what really worries me! i need a smaller shoebox so i can make a one pound batch.

all my soap so far (not a lot since many other things pull me away) is very plain, but the test pieces are all very silky and lathery (is that a word?) and bubbly.... and mild. with a DH with very sensitive skin (almost everything makes him itch and/or break out), that's really important to me.

i'm going to try one batch with parsley coloring for the swirl attempt, which eugenia explains in her room temp tutorial. i think that will be ok for him.

thanx again!

I agree on the Select Shades and Pop Micas. Natural colorants are great too. Plain old baking cocoa is a favorite, along with activated charcoal. Clays are great for adding natural color. You can also use herbs steeped in olive oil. Add a tsp of herb to 4 tbs of warmed olive oil and let it steep for a few days. I do recommend straining, as the herbs can be gritty in the finished soap.

e

thanx eugenia! i just saw your response. now i just have to pick some colors!

also, if i do the herbs in oil to use for swirling, how does that work with the lye?

do i calculate my regular recipe amount and use the amount of lye it gives me? then the oil i use for the color gets added and just increases the superfatting of the colored section a bit?

ei