My first attempt at candle photography

I prefer using black background for my photos, as I do a lot of photoshop work afterward for ads and so on. It is so much easier to remove after the fact than white. I also find that white rarely comes out as true white unless you have a great camera, and good lighting.

You're getting there.

As a thumbnail, it looks perfectly fine, but the larger version you can tell were you edited.

I'm telling ya... try a black background. If you want to change it to white after you take the photo, it is much easier to edit.

Personally, I use black leather desk blotters I got from American Express. But in the past I've used regular black poster board. Sheets of foam core work very well also. I do suggest using matte finishes rather than glossy, as lighting and glare from the shiny sides can create headaches.

Regardless of what materials you use, Photoshop or similar tools are a must. As a graphic designer, I couldn't live without them.

OverSoyed,

What do you use as a black background? Material etc. I'm curious about this too.

There are pics of my newest soaps in the B&B gallery for examples of how the black works out when photographing. As I said before, once you have a good background image, you can change the colors to whatever you like, ie. to suit your website color scheme.

If anyone needs graphic help, feel free to message me.

Tristan

You might try the science fair type folding poster boards with some inexpensive black fabric draped over it. For that matter anything you can attach the fabric to. That's what I do and I get some nice results. I have a little extra to that I use to cover small boxes and such when I need risers.

Ok, after trying some editing. I am no good at this :(\

I was able to get a lot of that pink color out, what do you think> compared to the previous one.

Hi,

I like the bright orange. It reminds me of a party setting I once saw, with a bright pink table cloth and dyed blue flowers. What is the scent?