Elevation Jars...

Greetings everyone!! I'm a first-time poster but have done a LOT of reading here. So I've done a little poking around and there's only a couple of posts regarding how to properly wick a 8oz Elevation Jar. Here's what I've tried:

WAX: AccuBlend #6 (Swan's 70soy/30par wax)

FO: Red Hot Cinnamon (Candle Science @ 1oz pp)

The attempts that I have made at single wicking all result in either: a) incomplete melt pool leaving about 3/8" along the sides of the jar all the way down... or B) jumpy, torchy flames exceeding 1.25" in height.

I've tried CDN-20 CDN-18, LX-28, LX-26, HTP-126, HTP-1212, ECO-14.

This is a very nice looking jar but it is probably very precarious to single-wick due to the multiple shoulders at the top and bottom, but I'm hoping that someone out there has had some success... TIA in advance!!

Here's the jar:

23543.jpg

-- Ryan

a) incomplete melt pool leaving about 3/8" along the sides of the jar all the way down... or B) jumpy, torchy flames exceeding 1.25" in height.
I would suggest a CDN 18-22, depending. When you say "incomplete melt pool", do you mean on the first test burn of what duration? I would not expect a FMP until the second or even third test burn of 3 hours each on a container of this size/shape. I think a small hangup on the first or second burn might catch up on subsequent burns as the candle burns down and the container warms up...

I really like the looks of that jar!

I would suggest a CDN 18-22, depending. When you say "incomplete melt pool", do you mean on the first test burn of what duration? I would not expect a FMP until the second or even third test burn of 3 hours each on a container of this size/shape. I think a small hangup on the first or second burn might catch up on subsequent burns as the candle burns down and the container warms up...

I really like the looks of that jar!

Hi Stella!

When I tried the CDN-18 and 20, towards the end of the test burn (burns were 3.75 hrs long -- the approx. diameter of the widest part of the jar) I would get very tall, jumpy flames which would soot every now and again... this is in a draft-free room too! So I never bothered with the CDN-22. It seems as though I had to trim the wick to a *NUB* in order to try and keep the flames down, but I doubt customers will do that and the last thing I want is to set someones drapes on fire!! :smiley2:

My challenge has been mainly that with anything smaller than CDN-20 or HTP-1212, the candle starts to tunnel on the 3rd and 4th burns... but with a CDN-20 or HTP-1212, I'd probably be able to achieve FMP on burns 2 or 3 but those candles don't make it past the 1st test due to the jumpy, sooty, tall flames. Hope that makes sense, LOL!

It does look like a more challenging container to wick... Since this is a parasoy blend, I am guessing... but it seems like it should need less wick than a comparable 100% soy...:confused: Personally, I would have started with a smaller size CDN for that diameter/shape jar in soy... something around a 16... Might wanna try that if you have any smaller sizes. ;) The jumpiness and flame height suggests overwicking to me... I agree - a nub isn't reasonable... Trimming to 1/4" is all that should be necessary... :confused:

i use that same jar...

I finally had to double wick..I use cd wicks..

I've been trying with HTP 52, 73, 83... all seem to drown out even though with the 83 the jar gets too hot.

What sizes would you recommend for double-wicking with CDs?

• 2 months later...

8 Gran Ones

i use that same jar...

I finally had to double wick..I use cd wicks..

I have been trying to double wick the 16 oz and 24 oz 4 inch diam. elevation jar after Failing miserably with one wick. I have tried cdn 14, 12 and now 10. I thought I had it down until the last ¼ of the jar. Now it is too hot. It took four 4 hour burns to achieve a full melt pool. Thought I had it . These are some heavy duty FO too. Hillbilly homebrew banana nut bread and black cherry. Can you offer any suggestions for me? Thanks much

Edited by lrbd