Pillar Help and Suggestions

What wax would be best for someone who has just started making pillars? I have never made one before. I would like solid colors, and shiny wax. I also would like to try the feather and tortoise palm wax pillars, but that may wait until I have poured a couple of regular wax ones!

Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated with this as I am SO excited about making them and I don't want to make any mistakes hehe

Thank you guys! :thumbsup: :whistle: *getdown*

I'll start by asking where are you getting your wax from as they could help you with a basic wax for pillars or a mix.

Shiny wax? You can apply a coat to make it shiny once it's removed or use a water bath after you've poured your wax to help get better gloss.

I will be getting my wax from Canwax. I am one of those Northerners hehe.. The wax I was looking at using was IGI 4625.

Never done a water bath. I dont need it to be super shiny... I just mean that I dont want it muted or matte like the soy pillars. If the 4625 turns out the same as the container wax I use... I would be totally fine with that :) I use IGI 4786A for my containers.

Sorry, can't help you with that wax as I use 1274, it is a very diverse wax and by using some vybar, it will turn the wax shiny. If you look at my pillars page and look at the Green and white pillars, those were made using that method...the pink ones I have posted in the gallery were made this way as well.

I knew you were across the border so that's why I thought I'd ask first. Not sure what you get there.

The 1274 is very diverse, but it is a mottling wax (so you know. It will leave the snowflake effect, but it's a good wax).

The 4725 sounds like it will give you the plain look. Doesn't appear you'd have to learn about additives since it's preblended.

But if you want to be able to do more than make a plain colored candle, go for 1274. You'd need to add steric and/or vybar103 along with UV.

Now your preblend won't include the UV, so you'll need to get that as well.

I use UV with all of my candles, so I am familiar with that. I would like to try the mottling wax too, but I just thought I would give it a try with normal wax first to see how I do lol

Thank you for your help! I will see what I can get here in the city in a smaller quantity first, try it, and then buy in bulk :)

This is what I meant by shiny...

post-11060-139458455577_thumb.jpg

Yes, but adding steric allows for less seepage for the mottle, so he might want to get both, but you can overload on steric to cut back on the mottle too.

Yes, it does cut back on the seepage considerably...... I generally add about a tbsp per lb of wax for the majority of my pillars....

Another good wax is the 1242, which is very similar to the 1343 alot of you guys use in the States.

Not to confuse you with more waxes...but the 6028 that Villagecraft carries has a nicy shiny finish. It is a 50/50 blend. The throw with this wax is awesome!

I am sure they will if you already have people asking for them. I don't sell them, but thinking like a customer I would personally buy a container over a pillar to burn, but a pillar for decorative purposes. But that is just me...I am sure everyone is different.

I would like solid colors, and shiny wax. I also would like to try the feather and tortoise palm wax pillars, but that may wait until I have poured a couple of regular wax ones!

There's a world of difference between making paraffin pillars and palm wax pillars. Decide which type of wax you wish to use first. Palm wax is NOT like paraffin is so many ways... if you use crystallizing palm wax, it will not be shiny, but will appear frosty because of the crystals. It can be poured cooler to produce a very shiny candle, but it does not look quite the same as paraffin. HTH :)

I am sure they will if you already have people asking for them. I don't sell them, but thinking like a customer I would personally buy a container over a pillar to burn, but a pillar for decorative purposes. But that is just me...I am sure everyone is different.

That is definitely a preference thing! I used to only buy (and burn) pillars and sometimes votives because I don't care for container candles. For the same reason I'm only making pillars and votives. Lots of people like container candles, and I will leave making the containers to those that have the patience for it! Definitely not me... :rolleyes2