What do I do with "older" shea butter?

firegirl

This may sound pretty lame.. I have MANY pounds of shea butter that has been stored covered and sealed in my living room for over a year.. This is the ultra refined shea. It now has a slight "old" smell. I will never be able to use it in lotions but was wondering before I toss over 20#'s in the trash, could this still be used for soap? Not to sell but for someone to practice with or???? I spent a LOT of money on this and hate to completely waste it.. I know.. should have sold it.. went through a divorce and EVERYTHING came to a screetching halt.. If you could only see the Hundreds of FO's I have from all the best suppliers... I am overwhelmed.. any advice appreciated.. not looking to make money.. just hate to toss it. Teri

I would buy some, should you choose to "price to sell"--I only do soap for myself, so I don't care. I think if you price it right and are honest in the description, people would take it off your hands.

Sorry about your divorce-they suck.:sad2:

You can actually refine it again. Heat it on the stove with about 1/2 gallon of water , just to melting. Make sure it is about 160 degrees. Then strain it through a cloth. Then pop it in the freezer. When it is frozen the butter will float to the top. Scrape it off and throw the water/ice away. That is one time fitlered. You can do that until there isnt any odor. That is if you arent exhausted enough from last years ordeal.