FO Changes Wax Color

I just poured Ecosoya CB 135. I added UV Inhibitor and 9% Peaks Gardenia. The Gardenia was yellow and I believe this is what gave the wax a yellowish tint. I plan on having all my candles dye free.

My question is have others experienced this and, if so, for those who make dye free candles exclusively do you use white dye to keep the wax "natural" looking?

I have several scents that do this. It tends to happen in a lot of the sweeter FOs too, especially those with vanilla in it. I don't add any white dye nor do I worry about it. I just explain to my customers that I don't add dye to my candles but some will discolor due to the fragrance and they are O.K with it. I've never had a complaint.

Hey, Stella!

A couple of weeks ago I ordered white dye from JBN just to have on hand. Would white dye be the color to add to the wax if I decided to do for a white color? Or, would I need to use a different color to offset the yellowish color? I saw in some posts people mentioned using a color opposite in the color wheel to correct color issues.

I really don't want to use dye, but on the other hand I do like the look of a white candle. Oh, what to do... :rolleyes2

Would depend on how you want to market those candles.

I try to go as additive free as possible with my botanical blend "green" line and make it a point to put Dye Free on the label. With the CB-135 I only use a dollop of coconut oil per pound and the FO. I don't even add UV.

Very seldom do I get asked about the shade difference. When they find out it was imparted from the different colors of just the FO the reaction is really favorable. I have quite a few customers who have become regulars just because they are dye free ...

Go with your gut. If you want them white - go for it!

Hey Derek! :wave:

Since soy wax isn't really white, but more cream in color, adding white would certainly brighten it up. The color opposite thing is for colors - not black & white.

Honestly, I think you are overworrying this issue. If you're marketing them as dye-free, stay with that.

If you really like a white, white candle, try some container palm wax. Now THAT'S white!! ;)

Thanks Stella and Judy for the advice!

I just did my first burn of these candles with the different FO (Peaks Gardenia) and learned a big lesson. For the past few weeks, I've been using CS Gardenia and have not been impressed with the HT. I've kept testing with it because I had quite a bit and also was stubborn and I didn't want to give up on the FO. Any ways, by the time I decided to try a different FO I was at 9%. So, when I poured the Peaks Gardenia I went right to 9%. The HT from the Peak's oil was great; however, after it was done burning, I noticed a significant number of dark "blotches" in the wax. I believe this is excessive FO that did not incorporate into the wax. Also, the wax cooled really rough and, in fact, after I had poured the wax it didn't setup as nice as usual. I think all of this has to do with the excessive FO. Am I right?

So the lesson...whenever I try a new FO I'm going to start with the rule of 1oz per pound and then work from there. I'll be doing more pouring tonight. :yay:

Judy - I actually finally bought CO yesterday and can't wait to try it. I plan on using it once I get the CB135 and Peaks Gardenia wicked.

I'll keep you posted...

whenever I try a new FO I'm going to start with the rule of 1oz per pound and then work from there

It helps tremendously to have "default" standards to which everything is measured. Then, when something changes and your results are not pleasing, you can troubleshoot more easily. ;)