Nut free soap oils needed!

bila275

So my kids are showing BAD allergies to soap made from nut oils and I have been buying California baby super sensitive liquid soap to compensate but its getting REALLY expensive. I"d like to make my own liquid/bar soap but I can't seem to find hard oils that are not sourced from seeds/nuts that will help my soap foam well. I dont mind doing a castile type blend but all I have found sutible is : rice brain oil, olive oil and jojoba oil. If i'm missing an oil could you let me know? And if anyone has a recipe/formulation I could use I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Bila

I don't know how you feel about animal fats in your soaps but lard would make a great ingredient. I use it in my personal soap. Most of the soap I make for my household is lard, olive, canola, castor and coconut. If your intrested in the recipe I'll give it to you. I hope you are able to find something to work for ya'll.

which nuts? I mean are they allergic to coconut oil, for example?

and do they seem to be allergic to commercial soap or hand made soaps or both?

so many questions!

(and did you have them tested for allergies to nuts? )

you can make a lovely soap that is 100% olive oil - it's very mild and nice, but will get slimy if it sits in water, plus it needs about a 3-4 month cure, in my opinion.

If I know more about specifically to what your children are allergic/sensitive I might be able to get you a little more interesting recipe.

Care Bear: the most reaction I have seen is from coconut. They seem to feel just fine with walnuts, almonds and pecans when eaten by mouth. No reaction to almond oil but bad rashes and break outs with anything that has lots of coconut oil. I thought of cocoa butter as alternative but also corn oil too..but i;m not sure how bubbly it would be? They had THE WORST reaction to Dr Bronner's liquid castile baby/unscented soap, rashes everywhere. But they were fine with Calif. Baby and Welda Baby care wash...go figure they love the expensive surfactant stuffs.

Yes I have considered olive oil/castile soap only also but I dont have days and days and days to sit around with a stick blender mixing it. I have two kids under 3 so I need something I can do over a weekend. Can it be done? Should i use the hot/oven process method to make 100% olive oil castile liquid/soild soap?

WendyByTheBay: I don't have anything against lard, but I defiantly don't want to use tallow. A veggie recipe would be preferred but at this point I am willing to try anything to get us away from the commercial stuff. Please go ahead and pm me the recipe.

Thanks so much for your help!

Shila

You might want to try a hygrogenated soybean oil. Not crisco, since it has cottonseed oin in it. But Majestic Mountain Sage has 100% Hygrogenated soybean oil which is in a solid forlm here is the description.

Soybean Oil (hydrogenated)

INCI = Hydrogenated Soybean Oil

Saponification Value: 190 mg KOH / g of Fat Use hydrogenated soy as half of your fats to keep costs down. It is a good filler and makes a very hard white bar when used alone. Solid at room temperature.

I make CP 100% olive oil soaps in about 20 minutes. Use a 40% - 45% lye solution and a stick blender.

But heck, even with a 33% lye solution it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes of SBing (on and off!! not on all the time!)

No matter what oils you soap, for maximum gentleness you need to let it cure for 2-4 weeks and for olive oil you will want at least 6 weeks if not 16... (else you end up with slimy soap)