Tear free soap for kids?

DREWSMOM

HI,

I don't see anything listed online or otherwise what makes some soaps 'tear free' for kids. I was wondering if you just make it natural, is it naturally 'tear free'?

Or is there an ingredient that you should omit to make it that way? I was thinking of liquid soaps and bubble bath in general.

Thanks,

Someone more knowledgeable than myself might correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I know, a "tearless" soap like johnson & johnson's Baby Wash doesn't use lye. Instead, it's a bunch of chemicals like SLS, Sorbitan Laurate, EDTA, and Sodium Chloride to name a few. Far from natural.

Bottom line is that if it's made with lye, it's not tearless.

Right you are Jeff. True soaps (as in made of oils and lye) are actually quite the opposite of tear free! The high pH makes them hurt like blazes, tho not damage the eyes. For mild, you need to think "detergent" and frankly I'd suggest a commercial product at that point.

no no no no WHEN will that myth die???

"The assertion that chemicals are added that numb the baby's eyes is totally false. The reason JOHNSON´S® shampoo formulas do not irritate the eyes is the mildness of the formulation, which has undergone extensive clinical testing and has proven to be as gentle to the eyes as pure water."

http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/faq.do

right - to be mild enough to be "tear free" they have to have a lower pH than you can get with true soap, so tear free soaps are detergent products.

which is just another example of how there is a place in this world for both...