How...in the WORLD...do you take good pics for a web site

KJohnson

I am having a heck of a time getting good pics for my web site. Can anyone offer some suggestions...the words on my labels are blurry and I cant seem to get enough light...Im using a floresent light above the products and one shining at them...

any tips would be great.

Thank sos much

With photos, natural light is always better and will always look better than artificial light. Camera flashes generally produce too much light on the photo subject.

If your camera is good, you should have separate modes. Indoor/outdoor, dark/light, museum/snow/landscape/portrait/black white, etc.

This is assuming a digital camera is used. 35MM are best for light situations but if the camera is good enough, digital cameras can be used to take pictures of pretty much anything.

Oh wow is that an expensive camera! If you still have a return warranty on it, I think it might be best to do that.

There are cameras with the same MP but better zoom and scene modes than this camera.

"With 6 Scene Modes, parameters can be matched to the shooting conditions. Choose from one of the following: Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Soft Snap, Candle, or Beach. "

You don't have too many scene options to choose from. I'd try Twilight Portrait or SoftSnap first. Beach is generally if it's really bright. Candle is probably to focus on a single bright object in a dark scene.

If your usinfg a florecent light you will need to difuse it. Try putting a light material in front of it (not on it it will start a fire) or go to home depot and go to the lighting section and buy a frosted panel like in office buildings. This will make the light more natural. Another thing you want to do is shoot the pic in high resolution and then scale down for the website this will keep your labels clear.

For something like this I would think you might want to think of using a tripod instead of holding your camera in your hands - Some of the blurriness you spoke of might just be movement when you are taking the pic

(and I know, I know - I have break down and get a digital so I can start posting some of these blobs of wax with a wick sticking out of em' that I have been making while attempting to make something that resembles a candle)

For something like this I would think you might want to think of using a tripod instead of holding your camera in your hands - Some of the blurriness you spoke of might just be movement when you are taking the pic

When I was in college studying PJ I learned the value of a tripod. I had to steady myself once by cramming myself into a door-jam and make damn sure I held my breath everytime I pressed the button. It wasn't a pretty sight at all.

Digital cameras typically have slower shutter speeds than film cameras.

That's not entirely true. Basic models of either film or digital may have a fixed aperature control which means no playing with shutter speed. These are your basic cameras. Advanced cameras have adjustable shutter speeds, but the speed is controlled automatically and you have no manual override, such as cameras with automatic and built in scene selection. More advance models still have these basic automated controls but also an option to override the basic settings and manually adjust speed and aperature, which means metering your light for the best exposure and adjust the aperature to control movement.

Only two things really separate film and digital... one is the means to record the image, with digital you have a CCD or memory chip and with film, you have... film. The second is the distance range of the lens you use. The same lens will give you a different distance range on a digital SLR over a film camera.

35MM are best for light situations but if the camera is good enough, digital cameras can be used to take pictures of pretty much anything.

I'll take my Nikon Digital SLR against the best 35mm film SLR on the market in any given lighting situation... and win hands down everytime. I've done it. On the other side of that spectrum, there are some things I prefer to do from my manual film SLR camera. It's really just a personal choice. I've shot some killer shots that made it into major publications with nothing more than a point and shoot on automatic. A camera does not a picture make... it's the operator and the knowledge behind the gear.

HTH

SOME digital cameras can outperform or match the picture quality of a film camera. Not many, but some can. SLR cameras don't necessarily mean a better picture.. though I wish I had one with such a zoom I could capture a picture of an alien walking on Mars.

Digital cameras still lack in the bright situations. They are getting better but it's hard to take a picture of something very bright with a digital camera. Like the sun and moon and often times a camp fire won't register correct.

I have a Nikon Coolpix which is pretty good. It's not SLR though.. those are still a little pricey for me.

As for shutter speeds, many Nikons have a scene mode that allows you to speed up or slow down the shutter. It's not very good though. At least with the Coolpix cameras. At least with my experience.