just an update

well, i bought my daughter the melting pot kit (came very little in it.. $24.99 and bought a few extra things) - and well, we made our first set of candles..

1st batch - small votives... little air bubbles all over

2nd batch - small votives... little air bubbles all over - after puting them in the freezer for a few minutes and removing them from the molds - 2 were cracked - also tried poking holes and topping them off.. noticed that the top center is like clearer than the rest of the candle (dunno what went wrong there really)

well, it was worth trying and seeing her happy :)

we lit a couple to test them - they burn well, smell good (could have used just a little more fragrance tho)

yeah, as far as selling them.. (with lawsuits mentioned in a previous thread), i guess she will just sell to friends and family and/or give them away as gifts. :(

gonna have to figure out how to stop the air bubbles tho - the cracking i think was my fault when tapping the bottom of the molds. and the clear centers are weird lol.. i never seen that before.

If i were you I would find a reputable supplier closest to me. check out suppliersbystate.com or fragranceoilfinder.com, there is also a sticky (very first thread) in the fragrance oil section that lists alot of suppliers.

Check what waxes they have & then read all you can find out about that certain wax/waxes. When you have decided on what wax, then it's reading & trying to decide what kind & size of wicks to use. The kits you buy at the chain stores are not very good. Most of the time they do not tell you what the wax is. The fo's are crap. If your daughter is serious about this, then you will need to get a digitial scales (can be found at walmart for around $30.00) to accurately weigh the wax & fragrance oil.

do not weigh the fo's in plastic dixie cups,(i use little glass measuring cups) the fo will eat right through them. Decide just want kind of candles you/she wants to make. Get them tested, some fo's weigh more then others so each & every one has to be tested to get the proper wick size. If she wants to do containers pick 1 size jar, a few quality fo's & start testing. oh & get ready for a really expensive hobby.

well, i bought my daughter the melting pot kit (came very little in it.. $24.99 and bought a few extra things) - and well, we made our first set of candles..

Where did you get the kit from? Was it soy, paraffin or gel? Did you also get a thermometer? We can help with the bubbles with a little more info.

i bought her a Yaley kit.. i can't find an exact picture of the kit - but it looks similar to this one:

http://www.how-to-arts-and-crafts.com/image-files/candle-making-starter-kit.jpg

the kit came with 3 of these:

http://www.venuscandles.com/images/votive%20molds.jpg

all it says is 1lb premium wax

it came with a thermometer, but after 2 uses i saw a little crack, so i threw it away - now we have to buy another one

the kit was $25, but i bought other stuff too.. we spent $40 altogether - i didn't want to spend alot in our very first day. but candle making is fun, i know we will spend alot :P

the closest thing to us is: michaels

we bought our stuff at:

www.michaels.com

85 Highland Ave, Seekonk, MA -(508) 336-7858

anyone ever try:

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/865/204589865.jpg

I think the air bubbles might be from pouring the wax too cool.

IMO, I think you would be happier with the quality of a kit from one of the suppliers than one from a crafts store.

The supplies at Michaels are ourageously overpriced and if you start out with them and then switch to a supplier (which you will, if you're going to continue), you're going to have to test all over again.

Just my 2 cents, but I think those kits are a waste of your time and money. i think alot of people will agree with me on this one.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh because I don't mean it to be.

I'm not opposed to kits, but as long as you're getting a kit worth using.

The bubbles could also come from pouring too fast, molds being dirty or pouring too cool.

The cracking came because you left the votives in the cold too long (and you shouldn't have to put them in a fridge/freezer at all. They cool quickly enough.)

Get another thermometer. That way you'll have an idea of what happened. Most likely you've got a paraffin wax, but I doubt it has additives in it, which could help eliminate bubbles and surface imperfections, improve scent etc.

i thought the air bubbles could have been because i poured right away after mixing in the scent.. but yeah, probably wasn't the best wax that came in the kit.

but i thank everyone for helping me, i know i am new and sorry if i ask noob questions and such. thanks for being patient with me.

by the way i didn't find the reply harsh at all.. and thanks for replying :)

I'm not opposed to kits, but as long as you're getting a kit worth using

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that all kits are a waste. I meant the ones from the craft stores. I actually think that a kit would be the way to go, but from Peaks or a good supplier. I think I had suggested that on a previous thread. Just wanted to clarify myself. :cheesy2:

I think I get where Ruffsta is coming from. Teen in the house is interested in making candles ... probably impatient to get started. Too impatient to wait for a shipment to come in. So you get something quickly for them to use and se if they keep their interest. I think it was a good first step.

If your teen wants to continue at least now she knows the very basics. Next step is finding a good supplier. Don't forget the new thermometer and a scale!

that's exactly what i did :smiley2:

and yes, she still is very much interested in it.. impatient for sure :smiley2:

yeah, definitely need a new thermometer and scale :cheesy2:... was think to go with Lone Star, unless anyone here can point out better/cheaper suppliers.

Shipping from Texas to MA might get a bit expensive.

Not that I'm endorsing one company - but on the list of suppliers the first one I found that supports those wanting to learn was www.CandlesAndSupplies.com . They are in PA.

They offer a big variety of kits, classes, workshops, projects and

MOST IMPORTANTLY Tech Support via telephone. As a noob you will get a wide variety of opinions here because everyone has their own favorites be it wax, blends, additives, fragrances. Working with ONE NEARBY supplier will make things so much simpler for you in the beginning. They have done the testing for you and KNOW what works with their products.

Again, not an endorsement ... but consider using a company that will give you the tech support via phone (or on their company forum) when you need it.

Hope that helps!

My personal preference is to get heavy stuff like waxes close whenever possible. I'm really lucky in that I live within driving distance of Candles&Supplies in PA. They have a wax that I've been in love with almost from the start. If you don't like what's close, then look outward but shipping costs can get high... FAST.

If you're in MA, CandleChem might be a good place to try too.

If you do decide to try Candles & Supplies (C&S) I HIGHLY suggest their "Hassel Free" votive wax. It's already got additives in it, burns wonderfully and gives me a good throw. I've yet to find any FO's that don't work well with it and it's in granules so it's easy to weigh and use.

Hey I started through Hobby Lobby stuff, but they never had kits like what's available now. They had plastic Candle Magic stuff and crystal colored wax and that was good just to see if I liked it, but in those days things like this forum weren't available to me.

Gosh, I remember going to A.C. Moore and getting this big slab of plain paraffin, wicks that were whatever, and little tiny bottles of oil that cost a fortune. Trying to research stuff in books (no internet then) and just trial and error. Those were the days. :rolleyes: Hope I didn't burn someone's house down. I cringe thinking about it.

Deb