Grrr... Lye

Grumpy Girl

I'm having SUCH a hard time finding lye in the stores around here. I've checked Wal-Mart, Lowes and tomorrow I'm going to try Albertsons and Home Depot and some of the other little hole in the wall places. I really don't want to have to ship this stuff in, it's spendy.

Sorry, just felt the need to vent. I've gotten everything else I needed locally and I just can't believe I'm having such a hard time with this.

Carrie is right, you can get it online for less if your grocery store is charging $4 or more for an 18 oz can. The catch is, you have to order in bulk (10 lbs or more) to make it worth it. Grumpy, there is a list of online lye suppliers in the tips and faq section, in case you aren't able to find it locally.

I got two 18 oz containers of red devil lye for $4 each at a local grocery store (Market Basket). I found it next to Drano on the cleaning isle. Some hardware stores and some feed stores may sell it as well. Why not look at your local corner grocery (at least for pricing) before you order online. Who knows, you may just save yourself some shipping and handling costs. :rockon:

Wait a minute....Red Devil stopped making lye? When? How do I find these things out?

BOOOOOO!!!! *thumbs down*:mad:

I guess I'm going to have to do a bit of looking around myself now...grrrr.

again....

BOOOOOOO!!!!! *thumbs down*:mad:

Well, I'm pretty darn impatient, so I ordered 2lbs tonight online to get started with while I try to find more locally. We've got plenty of those little hole in the wall places that probably have some on a dusty shelf somewhere, but I want to make my first batch like yesterday. :)

If I decide that I really like making soap and want to persue it, I'll definitely buy bulk.