CD Wicks Leaning

Hi everyone! I have finally decided on using CD wicks for my 6006/soy blend and have been trying to choose wicks for my scents. (Seems like there is a lot of variation in wick size -- same jar can take either a CD8 up to a CD14 depending on the color/FO!) One problem I'm having though is that the wicks are falling to the side regularly during burning. For some, it seems a CD8 might work if the wick would stay centered but it tends to lean to one side of the glass while it's burning, so wax builds up on the opposite side. I can straighten it again and it will eventually catch up if I do it soon enough, but I don't think my customers would do this without seeing it as a flaw in the candle. The wicks are centered on the bottom with the stick-ums -- but the top leans so that it is at an angle with the bottom. I've been trimming them before each burn. Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I just assume it's going to happen to my customers and wick up to compensate for it? Although, I'm not even sure if that would work because I've noticed that the smaller wicks actually seem to make a better MP than the larger sometimes. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! I seem to overcome one problem just to stumble onto another!:confused:

CD wicks are self-trimming and designed to curl when burning. So they're doing what they're supposed to be doing!

notice the dark brown (paper) braid in the wick? On one side it seems to point down, on the other side, it seems to point up.

The wick will curl towards the side where the braid is pointing up.

So when I set my wicks, I put the wick slightly off center so that the flame over the curl of the wick will be centered and I get an even melt pool.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The melt pool on the leaning wicks is about 1/4" to 1/2" at around 4 hours.

OK -- I will try twisting the wicks first and maybe off-centering them. I twisted one wick from the bag and the wax coating cracked around it. Do yours do that and is it okay?

• 4 months later...
I secure the wicks to the container and bowtie. Then I twist the bowtie several turns. Works great for us. :)

Please explain the bowtie part. I get the twist part but can't figure out how you get a bowtie. can I just secure them and then twist them?

A "bowtie" is a metal device that is placed on top of the container to secure the wick. Looks like this.

Once the wick is secured, the bowtie can be rotated to twist the wick. A few complete recolutions are all that is needed to make the wick roate to produce a balanced meltpool. No need to twist it until it becomes tight or doubled upon itself. Keep in mind that twisting the wick may change it's burn properties. :)

Edited by Stella1952

the link you provided isn't bringing me anywhere .but I get it. I use these black plastic bobby pin style clips scrolll to the bottom. would like to see the bow ties will keep looking.

http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/wicks.htm

Keep in mind that twisting the wick may change it's burn properties.
but of course it would. if you look at candle cross eyed it changes the burn properties:laugh2:

Sorry about that - I was in too much of a hurry when I posted. I should have previewed my post and checked the link...

Here's the correct link to one source for bowties:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlemakingequipment_bow-tie-wick-bar.html

What I like about them is that they can be used on many different jar mouth sizes (can use either way) and can also be used for doublewicking. Because the wick is held tightly in the slot, one can twist the bowtie and it will remain snug against the jar.

But for double wicking you couldn't twist them they would get all tangled up

Not necessarily - you would simply have to be more inventive. :)

So I am assuming by twisting the wick you are stopping it from curling ?

Nope. Just like Rebeccajo said, the twisting makes the wick burn slowly around in a circle and evens out the melt pool. The stance is still curled, which is typical for a self-trimming wick. :)

• 4 months later...

Twisting LX wicks seems to make the self-trimming a little less effective and thus makes a higher flame. That was with about one turn per inch. Half that might be better.

With jars I don't worry about it, but it can be a problem with pillars. Even there, if I can get away with it, I'll just wick down. By chance I made one 3" with the wick pin off center about 1/4". I deliberately set the wick to curl towards the center, and got a perfectly centered burn pool, lucky me.

Twisting LX wicks seems to make the self-trimming a little less effective and thus makes a higher flame.

Can't speak for LXs, but twisting CDs and CDNs a few revolutions has not made any discernible difference in the self-trimming stance nor in the burn properties of the wicks in any of my candles, soy, palm, container or pillar. The only thing it has done is to help keep the heat in the container more centered, thus keeping the MP more even rather than being off centered. The idea is not to twist so much that the poor thing doubles back on itself or unwinds like an airplane propeller! Just a few revolutions is all that it needs. The wick should still be able to curl for self-trimming or you've twisted too much. HTH :)