testing tiny jars

Hi,

I am testing some teeny tiny jars (1.5 oz.). They are about 1 inch across and a little taller. I have never used jars this tiny before. I previously used 2.5 oz. jars but they were shorter and fatter at about 2 inches across. How would you guys test these things? Would you follow the one inch/one hour rule for the first test? If so, that means I would only let it burn for one hour. I feel pretty sure that most people would burn the candle for longer than one hour. I'm thinking I might break the rule and burn for two hours at a time on the first test and then do a power burn.

Anybody have any thoughts?

TIA

Deb

Personally, I test votives poured in teeny jars the same way as I test 6" pillars - 1 hour per inch of diameter. When I get the wicking correct, then I do a power burn to ensure the wick isn't too hot and won't heat the container too much for safety.

1"an hour is almost impossible to get with the 1.5ozers. If you try for the 1" an hour they will drown out, because of the neck size when they burn down there will not be enough air getting to the wick. When I used them I wicked most fo's with millcreek's votive size wick.

1"an hour is almost impossible to get with the 1.5ozers. If you try for the 1" an hour they will drown out, because of the neck size when they burn down there will not be enough air getting to the wick.

I have had no problem getting my little glass votives to burn for an hour at a time (or more or less). The "1 hour of burn per 1" of diameter" rule of thumb works great for me. If the wicking is right, they should burn just fine without drowning. If they drown, the wicking ain't right. There are several small wick sizes from which one can choose. Some work better then do others, depending on the container, shape, diameter, wax & FO used...

Dunno what you mean about "neck size"... I got the impression that these containers were about 1" in diameter and a little over 1" high... where does the neck come into this? :confused:

I think the jars I am using are similar to the hex jars Carole is talking about but they are round with a lid. The sides are straight with a small shoulder. I will try to post a pic but I'm not sure if it will turn out okay. The glass is very thick so the specs are a little deceiving. I plan to spend the weekend testing LX and Eco wicks. I hope to narrow it down to just two different size wicks for most of my scents. I already tried LX 8 on my lightest scent and there was no flame. LX 10 was better but I'm only half way down. Time will tell, I guess.

G02-01C_thumb.jpg

Height: 2 in.

Outside Diameter: 1.625 in.

Circumference: 5.25 in.

Label Panel Height: 1 in.

I think this is the 1.5 oz. oval hex jar Carol has...

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=128

When I fill hex jars, I do not fill into the neck, but stop right where it begins so that the wax fills out the shoulder but doesn't enter into the neck area, if that makes sense. While those shoulders DO make wicking a little more difficult, the wick still shouldn't drown... Burning for 1 hr. per inch (of whatever the diameter of the body of the container, not the neck, measures) should give good results if the wicking is close. There might be a little hangup initially, but that should catch up very quickly on the second burn.

Deb's jar is darned near straight-sided with very little "shoulder," so she should have little trouble with these. The LX chart at Wickit suggests a 10, 12 or 14 for votives, so it may need a larger wick size...

What wax are you using?

I'm using C3 straight. So far, on my very lightest scent, an LX10 has worked but I've only gone through one candle. I like to have about 5 straight successes before I feel secure with that combo. Next, I'm going to work on my heaviest scent and get that dialed in. That should make my middle guys easier. I think I made things more difficult by trying both eco and lx but I was using what I had. I always do that to myself. I think I'll stick with LX on these little guys for now and experiment with some ECO later. I had stopped using LX because I didn't like the mushrooming but I don't seem to be having that problem in the little jars. BTW, they are just too cute when they are burning!

Thanks,

Deb