Heat Gun

The Harbor Freight in my town has heat guns on sale for $7.99! I'm sooooo tempted to go buy one, just so I have an extra! I'd be lost without my heat gun.

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I don't have one in my area, but I looked at their website and they have one for 12.99 and that's a lot cheaper than walmart.

I've got a northern tool & equipment I should probably check out for a heat gun. Right now I'm using a butane Bernzomatic pen-torch with a hot blower tip ($12, Ace HW). But, it's still quite hot.

I'd like one I can use with my polycarb molds without crazing the plastic at the top (just to even off the pouring hole area). I think the blower tip is 700-1000F which probably would damage the plastic.

Anyone know what temp will damage polycarb?

It works fine for spot-work on candles, like tacking a wick to the bottom of a pillar you used a wick pin to make. Or, evening off votives.

I'd really like the Weller 6966C as it's smaller than most, but it's over $100, and not continuously variable.

I would have to agree with Meredith. I was blowing thru the harbor freight ones too so I upgraded to a digital Wagner one and LOVE it!

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/ht3500_spray,43300,747.html

It is much more versatile because of all the different temp settings it has. I very rarely burn holes in my shrinkwrap with this one now because of that BUT my favorite feature is the cool down mode. Once you are done you hit the mode button until you get to the cool setting. Once it goes thru the cooling cycle it is cool enough to touch the metal end without hurting yourself. I haven't bumped it and accidentally burned myself since. It was a little more expensive but it has paid for itself many times over (had it 3 years so far & was replacing the cheapy ones every 3-6 months)